I Am 76 Years Old, Can I Get A Facelift?

Since I am quite old and have lots of wrinkles will it be worth my while and how successful will the results be and how long will they last? Kelly

+1
A facelift procedure rejuvenates the face by lifting soft tissues of the face that have descended with facial ageing as a consequence of descent of soft tissues, laxity in soft tissues of face and skin, volume loss. By your 70s there will be most if not all of the changes above which will be effectively rejuvenated with a Facelift. There are several further considerations.

• Safety is of paramount importance. If you are fit and healthy with few medical conditions then having a facelift is both safe, associated with a fast recovery and good results. If you have medical conditions it is important that you have necessary medical assessment to ensure the medical conditions are controlled and you are fit for surgery.
  • Assessment for my patients includes blood tests, heart tracing (ecg of ekg), chest x-ray amongst other tests.
  • Medications that you are taking may affect bruising, swelling and healing in general. It is key to discuss these with your surgeon.
  • General fitness is important and with regular exercise this improves your recovery and healing.
  • Additional procedures used in conjunction with facelift surgery will enhance the effectiveness of the surgery. Fat transfer to restore volume loss and skin resurfacing to restore sun damaged skin are two common procedures that will enhance the facelift procedure.
  • Surgical technique for facelift surgery in older patients requires meticulous surgery as the tissues lose some of the strength and elasticity with age, resulting in finer and more delicate facial tissues.
Overall there is not a specific age that is good or too old for facelift surgery, more significant is your general health and level of fitness. From my experience, taking the steps above into account, patients in their 70s and 80s can have a good rejuvenation from facelift surgery. 

London Facial Plastic Surgeon

When it Comes to Facelift Surgery, Surgeons are More Concerned About Biologic Age Instead of Chronologic Age

+1

When evaluating patients for facelift surgery we’re far more concerned about biologic age than chronologic age.  There are many patients who are biologically much younger then their stated age.  These patients have taken good care of themselves by eating right and exercising regularly.  Not only are they more healthy, but they seem to be younger at heart.  They lead very active lives and have busy schedules.  For these reasons, an age of 76 is not necessarily a contraindication to proceeding with surgery.
It’s obviously important for anyone older then fifty to have a comprehensive medical evaluation before proceeding.  This should include a physical examination, EKG and laboratory studies.  Clearance from their primary care physician is a requirement.  Facelift surgery in this group is associated with high satisfaction rates.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Candidate

+1

Age is not the primary determinant in being a candidate (either on the young or old side).  If you are in good health and maintain good skin quality, then a facelift can help you possibly in conjunction with laser resurfacing.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Face lift at 76

+1

There is no absolute age ceiling for having a face lift as long as your general health is good.  If skin quality is poor you may also need laser resurfacing and possibly fat grafting to achieve the best result.

Sam Naficy, MD

I'm 76. Can I get a faceless? Exclamation

+1

age in reality it's just a number. Your physical health is most important. We frequently care for patients in the 70s, and even early 80s with facial aesthetic surgery very good results. I was so pleased to receive a card from an 82-year-old woman like her for who to me that thank you. Now I look as good as I feel. Isn't that what it's all about?. These procedures can be done so safely with virtually no bleeding in a very fast recovery. If you see yourself is not looking as good as you feel facial aesthetic surgery is probably something to consider. There are many other options as well, including laser resurfacing, injectables, and many other treatments. Good luck. Best wishes – Dr. Joseph Hunstad

Joseph Hunstad, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Am I too old to have a Facelift?

+1

The question is not whether you are too old, but instead, how healthy are you?  Chronological age can me much different than a patient's physical and mental age.  I have had 60 year old patients that look and feel 80 years old and visa versa.  The important issue is how good your health is and how your recovery will be?  This is usually best answered by a good physical exam by your surgeon and a medical clearance exam from your primary care physician.  There are always risks and dangers with surgery, but age doesn't necessarily have to be one of them.  In general, facelifts are best performed on 50-60 year olds.  Expect a facelift to cost between $8000-13000 depending on additional procedures and extent of surgery.Good luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Facelift at 76 is not too old!

+1

The results for your facelift can be quite dramatic and hopefully help you look and feel years younger.  But, please realize that a facelift only tightens the skin and provides no relief for the appearance of your complextion.  Therefore combining a facelift with resurfacing techniques would be the best treatment plan.

James Wire, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Too old for Face Lift?

+1

Assuming you are in overall good health,  chronological age is not a contraindication to surgery. In addition to facelifting surgery,  skin resurfacing ( for example with the laser) may be helpful if you have “lots of wrinkles”.

Having a Facelift at a Mature Age

+1

The age of a patient isn’t as important as to whether one can have a facelift as much as your overall mental and physical condition. Aging can be a factor in determining facial rejuvenation. I’ve done many facelifts on patients that are in their 70’s or older and they have done very well. It’s optimal to have facial rejuvenation (facelift), in general, in between the years of 50-60.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Age is not a factor in determining candidates for Facelift

+1

The best candidate for a facelift is a physically healthy person who is realistic in their expectations regarding the appearance of loose facial and neck skin. As long as you are healthy, a facelift can be performed at any age and can deliver remarkable results. Many healthy patients over 80 years of age enjoy the benefits of a facelift.

Best of Luck, Dr. Clevens

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon