75 Yr Old Male in Good Health. Am I Too Old for a Neck Lift?

75yo male in good health. Am I too old for a neck lift?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Can I have a neck lift at age 75?

+1

Thanks for your question.  The short answer is YES!  Age in and of itself is a relative consideration when talking about ones ability to have surgery.  There are 25 year olds who are unhealthy for elective surgery and there are 85 year olds who are fine to have similar procedures.  I would make sure that your primary care doctor feels that you are in good health to have this type of elective surgery then seek a consult from a qualified surgeon.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Healthy 75 year old and neck lift

+1

75 is not too old for a neck lift as long as the general health is good.  In the past month I have performed 3 neck lifts on patients over the age of 70 with excellent outcome.

Sam Naficy, MD

Too Old for Neck Lift

+1

You are absolutely not too old to have the procedure performed. Check with your primary care/internist for medical clearance prior to surgery,  work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon,  and enjoy the results.

Healthy candidate for Neck Lift Rejuvenation

+1

The question of whether or not you are a candidate for a neck lift surgery depends on only one factor: your current state of health. At my cosmetic surgery practice, we have many clients who opt for neck rejuvenation procedures such as neck lift surgery or neck band surgery. Depending on the individual, sometimes we have to modify these neck rejuvenation procedures so that we dont have a patient under anesthesia for extended periods of time. In the modern world, most people are eating right, living right and being healthy, so eventhough one might be in their 70's, it is more like they are in their 50s based on lifestyle. So if you are in good health, then you are certainly a candidate for neck rejuvenation procedure. It depends on the procedure you are intestesd in and the results you expect: a sharp defined neck or slight improvement in loose skin or with removing fat. Usually at this stage in life, some type of skin lifting procedure for the neck area or muscle tightening procedure might be necessary.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Is 75 too old for a necklift?

+1

Thank you for your question. 75 is not too old for a neck lift. Age itself is not a contraindication to this type of surgery. Your general health status is much more relevant to your surgical candidacy. A recent study published in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery found that the risks of complications from facelift people over age 65 are no greater than in the younger population. The study found no significant difference in the instances of minor or major complications among patients whose average age was 70 from those whose average age was 57. Good Luck.

James M. Pearson, MD

Is healthy 75 year old too old for a neck lift?

+1

Not at all. Physiological health is what matters, not chronological age. First, get a good check up from your doctor. I have performed neck lifts on many people in their 80s. Enjoy it.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

+1

I have performed face and neck lifts for over 20 years and have done face and neck lifts on patients well into their 80's.  The main issue is your health which if good, should not be a limiting factor.  Commonsense, tells me that limiting the anesthesia and surgery time to 4 hours, or less is wise in these scenarios.

No you are not to old given you can pass a rigorous pre-op physical exam.

+1

Your age is not a barrier to undergoing a necklift if as you say your health is excellent. I would still suggest that you undergo a rigorous preoperative physical exam inclusive of a Stress Test to be sure you are medically in as good health as a you think. If the physician performing the exam feels you are a reasonable surgical risk then you can go ahead with the surgery. The need for this exam relates mostly to the risks inherent in the anesthesia necessary to perform the surgery and not for the actual surgery itself. I would also suggest that you consider a facelift in conjunction with the necklift because at your age there is usually a need for both to achieve an optimal result.

David A. Ross, MD