700cc Silicone Implants?

Two weeks ago I had my exchange surgery using 700 cc's cohesive gel implants. I am very pleased with the outcome as I had one breast radiated 18 years ago and it looks very similar to the other breast. I would like to know how long it will be before my breasts take a more natural look. I have read that they need to "drop" as they take on the shape of the tissue expanders in the beginning. Is this true? I would also like to recommend pracasil for minimizing scarring. It works wonderfully!

Implants for reconstruction

+2

It will take several weeks to a few months for the implants to assume their more final position. There will always be a slight difference since you did have radiation in the past. The overall shape of the breast in implant-based reconstruction is the shape of the implants. Most people use the high profile implant that is round. This has a slightly different shape than the original expander but usually has an excellent result. Best of luck!

Breasts and final shape

+2

I am glad the two breasts are starting to look the same. It may take several months for them to finally be soft in the pocket.

Breast reconstruction questions

+2

I am sure you are happy to be along your way to recovery from your breast reconstruction.  The shape of your breast will basically be the shape of your implant.  It will take some time for your soft tissue to adapt to the implant.  Irradiated tissue can take a little longer because it does not react  the same to surgical manipulation as normal skin, even if your radiation treatment was 18 years ago.  Your plastic surgeon may suggest the use of a particular bra and post operative massage to enhance your result.  

Stage 2 Breast Reconstruction

+1

TMHfan2012: Congratulations on having your 2nd stage breast reconstruction.  Cohesive gel implants are an excellent choice for delayed reconstruction in a radiated mastectomy flap because they simulate the shape and projection of the opposite breast.  The time required to "drop" into the pocket and become more mobile can vary from 3-6 months.  Ask your PS if (s)/he recommends gentle massage to facilitate this.  Remember that breasts are never "identical twins" rather sisters.  Radiation confers a stiffness to your mastectomy flap, so the implant will never "age" or droop as the opposite side.  :)