7 Weeks After Septoplasty/Turbinate Reduction and Can't Breathe While Standing? (photo)

At week 3 post-op, my nose began to get very dry during the day, and increasingly difficult to breathe through. The walls of my nasal cavity suck in when I try to breathe in, yet this doesn't happen when I am lying down. The only way I can breathe is with a breathe right strip. My ENT has said that she gave me "too much air" and that a procedure to "infracture" my turbinates might be the solution. Does this sound more like an internal nasal valve collapse? Please let me know your thoughts.

Post Septoplasty with Difficulty Breathing

+1

Typically when I address breathing issues via Septoplasty and turbinate reduction I will perform and infracture at the same time of the original procedure. At this point it is to soon to determine if you just have some swelling of the turbinates. A saline nose spray may help with the dryness issues and then I would give yourself some more time to allow the healing process to resolve before making any exact diagnosis. See your surgeon for frequent follow up visits and hopefully this will resolve. Your complaints are not necessarily related to a nasal valve collapse and with good follow up and direct examination your surgeon will be able to provide the proper answers for you. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.