7 Months After Surgery Are My Implants Too Close Together? (photo)

I am extremely happy with my implants; before surgery I was completely flat chested. I went for a check up this week and my doctor said my breasts are too close together, and he wants to essentially sew a finger-width separation between my breasts. This requires full anesthesia and needs to be performed in a hospital. I'm perfectly happy with the way my breasts look now, delighted in fact. With all of this in mind, should I have this procedure done? Is it really necessary?

Happy with Symmastia

+1

Your symmastia is not the worst case.  If you are happy with your breasts as they are, then you should not undergo elective surgery to fix something that you like.

Breasts Close Together

+1

If you are happy with the way your breasts look, further surgery is not necessary. You are the most important judge of your results.Although it is possible to create more space between your breasts, if you are delighted then just enjoy them as they are!

Michael Horn, MD

Too close?

+1

Thanks for your post. Yes, your breasts look like they indeed are too close. However, if you are happy then that is all that matters. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Revision

+1

i agree with you. since you are happy with your implants and the look then leave them alone. the treatment can always wait

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Revisionary Breast Surgery Necessary?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Given that you state that you are “delighted” with the outcome of your surgery and it appears that you are symptom (pain) free despite breast implant “malposition”, I would suggest that you avoid any further surgery. In other words, to answer your question, it is not “really necessary” to have additional surgery unless you have specific concerns you wish to have improved upon.

Implants Close Together in the Midline

+1

Your breast implants appear to be very close together.  If you are happy with the result then there is your answer, leave it alone.  On rare occasions the two implant pockets can actually erode and join together creating a condition know as synmastia.  The condition can be caused by overly aggressive medial dissection or extremely loose tissue on either side of the breast bone (sternum).   If one was unhappy with this result I would suggest using an narrower implant and the possible use of acellular dermal matrix material such as strattise to provide medial support.  But you are the ultimate judge of your result.  

Implants too close together revision

+1

Hi and thanks for the photos. Your pictures show a tendency to mild symmastia. It occasionally happens naturally in heavy breasted women. I'd agree with the other docs that there's no reason to have further surgery if it doesn't bother you. It's not the easiest thing to change and any further procedure carries a degree of risk. 

Stephen Hamilton, MD, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

Mild symmastia

+1

Well...they are a little closer than ideal.  But if it doesn't bother you, and the skin is still attached to the sternum (breast bone), the suggested repair is currently optional.  If the situation gets worse, however, you will likely need the surgery.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Should revision surgery be performed?

+1

Thanks for your question and pictures.  My feeling on this topic is that you should only get a revision if you want one.  Do not do it because somebody else told you to get it done.  If there is a complication with the revision, you will be upset since you are happy with your appearance now.  You had an elective procedure done and you are happy with the results.  Why change it?

Naveen Setty, MD