I'm 6weeks Post Op, I Didn't Like my Nose when I First Got my Splint off and I Kind of Still Don't. Is It Still Swollen?

The tip of my nose is still really big. I don't know if it's just swelling or if this is just how my new nose looks! My doctor said he did take alot off...I can't really feel my nose when I touch it. I'm just scared its not gonna turn out how I want it to since it's already been 6 weeks!! Is it gonna stay looking like this? or is it just still swollen? Please help

Swollen Nose

+2
It is very common to still have swelling in the tip of your nose at 6 weeks after surgery.  Skin thickness often affects how quickly the swelling will resolve.  If you have thick skin the swelling will take longer to improve.  I often tell patients that at the 6 week mark, 75-80% of swelling is gone. At 90 days 90 % is gone.  Your nose will look different every day during the first year following your surgery.  Some days your nose looks great and other days not so much.  Try to avoid staring at your nose in the mirror during the early postoperative period...I know that sounds ridiculous but your nose will change so much over the early period that it is not worth stressing over the day to day changes.  You may want to ask your surgeon if he recommends that you tape your nose.  I find that taping your nose at night just above the tip will help quite a bit in relieving the tip swelling and bring some added definition to your nose a lot sooner.  Good Luck.

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

After 6 weeks, you will still be experiencing swelling. In general, 70% of the swelling is resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. Swelling may be influenced by the following: Whether the procedure was open or closed, whether the procedure was a revision, the thickness of the patient's skin, and whether or not tip work was performed. Swelling can result in the appearance of asymmetry and irregularities. I would give it some time and see how you continue to heal. The final result may not be evident for 18-24 months after surgery. Your surgeon should be able to answer any post-operative questions you have, as they know the details of your surgery and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Nose swelling

+1

Jared18, pictures would be very helpful to asses whether some of your concerns are related to swelling, which is expected after surgery, or whether there is a surgical/technique aspect related to it.

As far as the feeling, it will take several months until your feeling starts coming back.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty recovery

+1

At 6 weeks after a rhinoplasty, there still would be some expected swelling present.  It can take 6-12 months (and sometimes longer) for all of the swelling to resolve.  As the swelling goes down, the appearance of your nose will continue to improve.  I would say that it is very likely that ultimately, your nose will not look like it does now.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Need more time

+1

Dear Jared18,

Swelling after a rhinoplasty is very common and takes a very long time to subside. You should give it lots of time. Take a look again at 6 months. 

Gabriel Salloum, MD