I Am 69 Years Old and Recently Got a Deep Labiomental Fold?

What are my treatment options to less or soften the fold. Thanks

+1

Photos would help in the evaluation but fillers (I prefer Perlane in this area) will soften the fold.  This can be done as an office treatment in 5 -10 minutes.

Chin Fold Treatment

+1

Hi Eutaw.  We have found that filler works the best in the chin area for the groove that you are asking about.  Radiesse, Perlane or Restylane can all help and in some cases relaxing the mentalis muscle (chin) can also help to soften the line. 

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Treating labiomental fold - filler and or Botox

+1

For those who aren't sure what a labiomental fold is, it's the horizontal fold or crease you sometimes see between the lower lip and the chin. It's quite common.

The muscle trio in that area can create an upturn of the chin and that is usually the cause of the fold. Relaxing the muscles responsible will often allow the chin pad to drop back to its normal position.

If loss of volume is also relevant, a small amount of filler can be used to further lessen the crease depth.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Best Treatment for Recent Deep Naso-labial Fold in 69 Year Old?

+1

Hi Eutaw,

Congratulations on putting off those darn deep naso-labial folds.  The best way to soften the fold non-surgically would be with fillers, I prefer to strategically use Radiesse in patients in their 60's and 70's as it gives the best lift.  Most importantly, choose your injecting physician most carefully, you want someone with artistic vision.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

+1

I would agree that fillers or fat grafting to that area may be reasonable options.                                                                                                                                     Kenneth Hughes, MD                                                                                                                                       Los Angeles, CA

Deep Horizontal Chin Crease

+1

Usually augmentation with fillers such as Radiesse or fat taken from the patient's own tissue are the best alternatives. Pictures would be helpful.

Combination of botox and filler for labiomental fold (horizontal chin crease)

+1

I recommend a combination of filler (Restylane, Juvederm ultra or Belotero) at the crease itself, and Botox to the mentalis muscle (it is the repeated action of this muscle that results in the crease).  I've found that this combination works well for my patients with labiomental creases.

Dara Liotta, MD