I Am 67 Years Old and Recently Lost About 35 Pounds- What Can I Do About the Loose Skin?

Is there anything that can be done about the loose skin on my stomach, arms, and thighs?

Post Weight Loss Loose Skin Treatments

+1

Loose skin is often present following large weight loss.  

There are procedures to remove the excess skin fro the neck, the upper arms, the breasts, abdomen, buttocks, and inner thighs that results from massive weight loss.

These procedures include Facelift, neck lift, Brachioplasty or arm lift, breast lift, abdominoplasty or tummy tuck, thigh lift, buttocks lift, and lower body lift.

Each patient is different in what they may require, and therefore a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is necessary to that you can be properly evaluated and  a plan designed to meet your specific needs.

Weight Loss and Treatment of Loose Skin?

+1

Congratulations on your recent weight loss.

Once you have been medically cleared for elective plastic surgery the loose skin on the involved areas can be very effectively treated with tummy tuck surgery, arm lifting surgery and thigh lifting surgery.

These procedures would likely need to be staged with safety being the first priority. Please make sure you're working with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons.

Age, Weight Loss, and Loose Skin-What To Do?

+1

First, congratulations on your weight loss.  Your health will be improved no matter what you do about the loose skin.  Age alone is not the deciding factor in what options you have.  Instead it is your physiologic age that really matters; that is how healthy and youthful you are for the age you actually are.  If you are in good health and you have no underlying medical issues, you may be able to address these issues with a tummy tuck and also lifting the arms and thighs.  Obtain a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area.  You may even want to get a few opinions before proceeding.  Even better, before going to see the plastic surgeon(s), consult with your primary care doctor to see if you have any medicals issues that need to be addressed before  considering any of these procedures and bring those results with you to your plastic surgery consultations.  Good Luck and again, congrats on your weight loss!

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

+1

In person evaluations with boarded PSs in your area is always the best way to obtain definitive answers. I assume you will need excision of this excess skin like a tummy tuck, arm/thigh lifting. 

Tissue excess after weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your accomplishment.

The answer is yes it can.  Options include tummy tuck, panniculectomy, brachioplasty, thigh lift, to name a few.  Some procedures are more physically demanding than others, and surgical risks are real.

I would recommend that you make an appointment with a qualified plastic surgeon with experience doing these procedures in weight loss patients.  At the same, I would discuss your plans with your internist so that you can get needed clearance. 

Getting into shape, and making plans will take time to make arrangements and optimize chances of a great and safe outcome.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Management of Excess Skin after Weight Loss

+1

Hi there-

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss- this will undoubtedly benefit your health and sense of wellness.

Depending on the magnitude of the excess skin, the areas of your concern, and your overall state of health, there are many excellent options for improvement in the skin that troubles you (there are good reasons these procedures are associated with such high rates of patient satisfaction).

Your best bet is to find a good surgeon (Board Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery) that you like and feel you can trust and review options with them after they have examined you carefully.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Weight loss and skin laxity

+1

After weight loss there is skin laxity and excess skin in different areas of the body.

Provided you are in good health, excess skin in the thigh, arms and stomach can be removed.

Abdominoplasty, thigh lift and later a brachioplasty.