Restylane for Marionette Lines - Am I Good Candidate?

I Am 66 Year Old Female with Generally Good Skin, Careful of the Sun, no major health problems. I do have moderate skin folds from outer edge of lips down towards my chin on both sides of the mouth, one being more pronounced than the other, which look better when I smile (and I do that alot anyway!). I saw a filler injection on Dr. Oz, had never even considered it. Would Restylane be of any use to me? Is it safe? Are there side effects I should consider? Is there a cheaper way to get it done than a plastic surgeon? How would I find someone in my area?

Restylane injections Can Diminish Marionette Lines

+1

The use of injectable fillers for the marionette lines can be effective and will definitely reduce their prominence. The safety of injecting Restylane is well established and without question. Based on the way you have phrased your questions, and what I would counsel any patient on, is not whether they will work or are safe? But is it a good value proposition for you? Because their effects are temporary and there may be better long-lasting effects from a surgical alternative for marionette lines (neck-jowl lift), you need to consider whether this is a good way to spend your money given your objectives and age.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com/injectable.html

Fillers for marionette lines

+1

Without seeing a photo of you, it is difficult to tell whether fillers would address your marionette lines.  In general, if you have mild to moderate marionette lines, fillers such as restylane, juvederm, and radiesse will do a great job of filling the area.  Restylane and Juvederm lasts about 6 months in this area.  Radiesse closer to 9 mo-1 year.  

In some cases, the marionette lines are due to fat loss in the cheeks and fat pads drooping over time as we age.  Think of a balloon that deflates over time.  In those cases, I would consider Radiesse or Sculptra to VOLUMIZE the cheeks.  By "reinflating" the cheeks, this will cause a lifting in the face-- resulting in diminished smile lines and marionette lines-- the results are very natural and youthful.

I would suggest either a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  Best of luck!

-Dr. Mann

Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Filling the Marionette Lines

+1

Restylane, Perlane or Radiesse is my choice of filler.  The marionette lines can generally be address by any of the fillers mentioned.  Just remember you are dealing with your body and face, do not take the CHEAP route.  You will pay extra in the long term whether it is with more money or agony.

Look for a board certified plastic surgeon to do your injection.  You can go to the ASPS website and look up for a plastic surgeon in your area.

Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/orange-county-radiesse.php

Smile folds treated best by fillers

+1

Keeping in mind that face lifts generally do not address or improve smile folds, you should consider fillers to plump up the folds.  Restylane, Juvederm, Perlane, Radiesse and Fat Injections work well. Sculptra too. See a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

Fillers for nasolabial folds

+1

Without seeing you , I could not say for sure. However, fillers are a great thing to use to camouflage the nasolabial folds.  That being said you may also be a good candidate for a facelift.

Injectable Fillers for Marionette lines

+1

It sounds like you are an excellent candidate for Restylane or any other filler in that particular area. It is very safe when performed by a board certified plastic surgeon with minimal risk and downtime. For a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, check out the ASPS (plasticsurgery.org) or ASAPS (surgery.org) websites.

Treatment of Marionette Lines

+1
A picture would have been very helpful to base my comments on. Not all treatments are equally efficient for all folds. The depth and severity of the folds would influence the success of the treatments. As a result, it would be preposterous to state or imply that one treatment was equal to another. In general, the more superficial the marionette lines, the less the down turning of the corners of the mouth, the easier it is to fill and smooth the lines with fillers (Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm or Radiesse or fat) and the corners of the mouth can be lifted with Botox. In more severe cases, depending on the severity, we can TRY nonsurgical methods but often the results of newer, less extensive facelift procedures (such as the MACS Facelift) do lift the sagging jowls and can correct the marionette lines. Alot of would COULD be done would depend on your presentation. Dr. Peter Aldea

Marionette Lines and Filler

+1

Marionette lines may be treated with a variety of fillers such as restylane, perlane,juvaderm and others.  They may last up to 6mo. or longer depending on how deep the lines are and other factors.  At 66 years of age , you may also be a candidate for a more long lasting treatment  such as a facelift depending on the quality of your skin and amount of jowling present.  Of course , this is a surgical facial rejuvenation procedure and there will be a recovery period associated with this.  Evaluation by an experienced board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon in your area would be appropriate prior to any treatments. 

Good Luck

Marionette Lines

+1

Yes Restylane is a very temporary fix 3 to 6 months AT BEST!!! I recommend the Selphyle regenerating filler or the "Vampire Filler" . It will last much longer upto 2 years . Regards from MIAMI 

Marionette Lines & Restylane

+1

Restylane injection is a good way to temporarily fill marionette lines.  It will last in the neighborhood of 6 months depending on how animated this area of your face is.  Ideally you should have this procedure performed by a plastic surgeon or dermatologist who has a good bit of experience with injecting these products.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.