Is 650cc Safe for Someone Who Has 36a to Start With?

I am scheduled for breast augmentation surgery on May 15th and after reading questions & answers on here i am a bit concerned about my decision. I am 5'5, 155lbs, & currently a size 36A. I choose to go to 650cc saline implants. What should be my biggest concern about going this big? Is it unsafe? What should i be worried about in the long run? Thank you

Slow down, large high profile saline implants can yield horrible long term results

+3

In my opinion 650 is too big for almost anyone.  Saline is not a great choice- the only advantage is cost savings and this is a decision you will likely regret.  These are certainly going to be high profile implants whih will give a very artificial torpedo like appearance.  They will also certainly show some rippling and age very poorly.  You should probably slow down , do some research and perhaps get additional opinions from other plastic surgeons.  I hope this helps.

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

650cc

+2

Hello there

The choice of implant size is very individual and comes from a combination of your measurements and the discussion during the consultation .

650cc is generally speaking a large size and one usually sees with larger implants that in the long-term they are not as well tolerated by the breast tissue and problems such as thinning , rippling and stretch marks can result .

It would probably be good for your peace of mind to get a second opinion with a plastic surgeon in your area .

Cheers

Terrence Scamp

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Brisbane Plastic Surgeon

650cc Saline Implant and Safety

+2

I allow all my patients to choose their size because each and every woman has a different aesthetic view. However, I would strongly caution against going with 650cc implants. The bigger you go, the more they weigh and the more they will head south with time.  I wouldn't go as far to say it's "unsafe." Just remember that you want your breasts to look good for a long time not just immediately after surgery.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Is 650cc too big? 5'5, 155lbs

+1

At first glance and without an exam I would say you are getting into a pretty large implant. Larger implants are heavier and place significant stress on the skin. Further they can require a lift sooner than another patient with a smaller implant. They can also be prone to creating thin skin and rippling.For most women I think that would be too big, but this is a very individualized process.  Rather than focusing on the type of implant profile or the number of cc's or bra cup size (with is inaccurate and manufacturer dependent), I would recommend you communicate very clearly your expectations and desires. Your plastic surgeon will decide with you on the profile of the implant based on the breast width, your body shape, skin elasticity and thickness and native breast tissue present. Based on the limited information you have given your results are achievable. In my practice I usually explain the implant types, profile and rationale for using different implants/ profiles. I also use the a special sizing system pre-op and have patients try them inside a bra so they can get a sense of their look. I never tell them what size I have picked until they show me the "look" they REALLY desire by trying on the sizing system in our office. Then we sit down and evaluate "the look" they have chosen and see if it matches what I have chosen by measurements and physical exam.  It does make it both fun and is a healthier partnership between patients and the PS.  Speak with your plastic surgeon. Good luck on your surgery!

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Is 650cc Safe for Someone Who Has 36a to Start?

+1

In general, that size should increase an A to at least a D.   Larger implants thin tissue faster, which can produce issues such as rippling, bottoming out, increased droop, harder revisions, increased back, neck, shoulder pain, etc.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Safe? You mean possible?

+1

Dear Jewel,

"Safe" is a broad term that encompasses many things.  There are safety risks to ANY surgery, no matter how minor.  You have read all of the long term risks of large saline implants below.  A more appropriate question is whether or not implants that large can even be placed in you at 36 A cup.  It will depend on your skin and tissue characteristics of course, which we do not have knowledge of.  Be sure your surgeon is American Board of Plastic Surgery board certified.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

650cc implants

+1

650 seems like a large number for ordinary implants. However your best bet is to visit board certified plastic surgeons and if you are not 

sure about what you hear get a second and third opinion . 

Al Aly, MD

Make sure the diameter of the implant does not exceed the diameter of the breast.

+1

A 650 mL implant is quite large. The diameter of the implant should be compared to the diameter of the breast to make certain that placement will not create an anatomic anomaly.

Implant Size for Your Body Type

+1

That seems like a large implant for your body, but without photos, it is impossible to answer your question.  I don't know how much extra skin you have, etc.....Seek out a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a second opinion prior to your surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD