Is 650cc Implants Too Big for Me?

So im going this Thursday to get implants. I have had a Tummy Tuck and now would like to have volume back in my chest. I wear either a 36C or a 38B. I am 5'5 and weight is 135-140lbs. I have had two children who are now 12 and 4. Lost alot of volume after preg's and also because my weight has gone from 150 to 119 then back to 150. Now i have been 135 for awhile now. I have my surgery in five days....any thoughts??

The 650cc breast implant option

+3

Based on your size and breast size, the 650cc implants will 'fit' and give a very full result. Are they the right choice for you? This is hard to say as the implant has to suit your goal and look. The very large implants are right for only a few because of long term issues of breast thinning and implant show through, so be very clear and careful in your choice.

peterejohnsonmd

Size is a personal choice!

+3

There are a few technical limitations to implant size, but for the most part size is a personal choice. 

However, if you are using an implant to eliminate the sagging of breast ptosis - don't do it! Get the lift and a smaller implant instead!

Robert M. Freund, MD

Breast implant size

+2

You should discuss this size implant with your plastic surgeon prior to committing to 650cc implants, which in my opinion, are too large. Patients with implants of that size and weight, are more prone to complications in the future. The weight of the implants over time will cause excess stretching of the skin and thinning out of the breast tissue. 

I use 3D imaging on patients to simulate what they may look like with certain sizes of breast implants. It's very accurate and allows patients to visualize the result before having surgery.

Discuss your size again with your plastic surgeon and be sure to actually see and feel a 650cc breast implant.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

How to select the appropriate breast implant size

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

It would be impossible to determine the correct implant size from a clothed photo.  Ideal breast implant sizes are determined by a thorough examination in which determinents are made including nipple-to-fold distance, breast base width, basal soft-tissue elasticity, as well as other factors.  I would not be so concerned with the actual "volume" of the implant, moreso than the correct size/shape of implant for your particular body.  An experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will be able to make this determination with ease.

Additionally, given that you've had 2 children and incurred significant fluctuations in weight, you may require some sort of breast lifting procedure or mastopexy as well. The surgeon, again, will be able to make this determination during your consultation.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

650 cc's a good option?

+2
There is no specific volume that is appropriate. Was is important when you get relatively large implants (as you suggest) that you are aware of the potential downsides. You may get what you "want" in size but will you also get some unintended consequences? For example, irreversible thinning of your breast soft tissues and an increased risk of bottoming out. Subsequent surgeries to attempt to correct these problems are expensive and not as predictable. Perhaps letting someone else examine and talk with you might insure an informed consent. Good luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Large Volume Breast Augmentation

+2

Based on your height and weight, I think the answer is YES, 650cc breast implants are too big for you and most women. You will be at an increased risk to develop early complications such as the incision opening and leading to an infection. In the long run, few women will have enough support of their own tissues to prevent savere sagging in the months and years to come. Finally, they are quite heavy and you may develop problems with back and neck pain. Implants this large may work for a very few carefully selected women but will be a mistake for everyone else. Get another opinion before it is too late.

Joseph Fata, MD

Choosing implant size for breast augmentation

+2

The right implant will provide balance between your breast skin envelope and the volume contained therein.  The overriding concerns should be:

Balance for the figure overall; top vs. bottom; shoulders/bust/waist/hips;

Skin vs volume proportionality;

Implant diameter vs chest diameter.

If all of these equations of balance are solved you will have the best result.  My approach to this is to have all implant sizes and shapes available in the OR and to use temporary "sizers" to see which ones will work the best.  Make sure your surgeon knows what you are looking for and, if your goal is unreasonable, that you and the surgeon negotiate how to achieve the optimum result.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

650 cc Implants, too big?

+2

Without seeing you in person and examining you, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  However, 650 cc implants are quite large and I would be concerned that you would not achieve a natural result.  Also, you would need to consider the consequences of carrying around that much more weight and the effects of gravity on your chest and skin.  You may want to consider implants in the 300 to 400 cc range.  However, it is your body and your choice.

Good Luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Question on implant size

+2

It is impossible to determine what size implant would be most appropriate for you based on photos alone. You should share with your surgeon the desired appearance that you want and then allow him/her to make the determination as to which size would be most appropriate for you. Nevertheless, 650cc might be a bit too large for you based grossly on the information that you provided though this is just conjecture.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Too Big!

+2

The real issue is not if they are too big, but what are the long term consequences of implants this size.   Unless you have excellent skin elasticity and thickness, large implants will stretch out your breast tissue that may be be already lax from pregnancy.  There are more complications with larger implants as well.  You will have a higher likelyhood for rippling, bottoming out, future uplifts,  future revisions, etc.  I always have my patients look at before after pictures of patients with various size implants.  Make sure you have done that.  Also be aware that long term larger implants will NOT lift your breasts, they will actually make them drop faster.  Best of luck.

Daniel Yamini, MD