Is 6500 Too Pricey for an Upper Asian Bleph in Chicago?

Just upper bleph- NOT lower bleph. Physician quoted me on 3500 (Standard bleph), 1500 upper eyelid fat removal and additional 1500 for hospital/anesthesia costs (I prefer to go full rather than local)? Obviously costs for Asian Bleph should vary but am I getting ripped off?

$6500 for an Upper Asian Bleph in Chicago

+2

Surgical fees will vary greatly throughout the country. Fees that may be high for South Florida would be reasonable in Chicago. To get an understanding of your options, consult with 3 - 4 board certified plastic surgeons.

Blepharoplasty a la carte

+2

Piecemeal charges are rather unusual and generally drive the cost of surgery upward.  Therefore, obtain several quotes from other qualified Cosmetic Surgeons and communicate fully with your doctors as you proceed.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cost Of Asian Blepharoplasty

+2

Generally fat removal is not charged as an extra for an Asian Blepharoplasty and should not usually be done in most cases. The cost of surgery is affected by many factors. Other than the cost of the fat removal, your pricing  does not seem way out of the norm.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Asian eyelid surgery

+2

Hi Vikki,

I do a lot of Asian eyelid surgery and I do not charge for fat removal.  Furthermore, be cautious about how much fat you're removing.  It may look nice next month but I could look hollow later on in life if it's too aggressive.  Total cost in my office is about $3,000 without anesthesia, $4,500.  I don't think you're being "ripped off."  Its simply surgeon's preference.  I do not sedate Asian eyelid surgeries because I need you to be awake and look up at me to ensure symmetry during the case.  Get a few more consults.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too pricey even for Beverly Hills

+2

It is unusual to charge extra for fat removal. In Asian double eyelid blepharoplasties the fat is left to create the heavy eye that is natural for Asians.. I would say run dont walk to another doctor

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Cost for Asian blepharoplasty

+2

It is a little unusual that you are being charged extra for fat removal. Unless you want the fold very high, beware of fat removal.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cost for upper eyelid rejuvenation

+2

Of course, the cost will vary for each practice, though you are right in that the cost for an Asian upper lid procedure is often much lower. Depending on your age and eye shape, fat removal is not indicated for most as the key is anchor fixation to set the higher lid fold. As far as anesthesia is concerned, local can work very well as can sedation with a pleasant experience.

Prices vary by location

+2

Although the prices you quote are on the high range for a blepharoplasty, it may reflect the high costs of a major urban center.

You should get a couple consultations to find a surgeon that you feel comfortable with. Price shopping should not be at the top of your list for reasons to choose a surgeon.

If you decide to explore this further, I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon