I Am 64, Had 3 C-sections and Have a Huge Apron. Will Lipo Therme and Lipo Tickle Help Me?

I am diabetic and have high blood pressure. Will they improve after surgery?

Answer to RealSelf.com question regarding liposuction and abdominal apron

+2

Your question raises two important issues: 1. The type of procedure that would be the best for you and 2. The safety of any surgical procedure with your underlying medical conditions.

Without an examination and discussion, it is not possible for me to give you specific advice, however I can discuss some generalities related to your situation.  Patients with an abdominal apron or “pannus” will not benefit from liposuction; they need a procedure that removes (primarily) the excess skin.  There are two procedures that fall into this category: Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and panniculectomy.    These procedures are somewhat similar in that their goal is to remove excess skin and fat.  The abdominoplasty is more extensive and addresses the entire abdomen, while the panniculectomy just removes the excess skin beneath the umbilicus.   Liposuction is primarily for removing fat.  While there is often some degree of skin contraction after liposuction, it is not nearly enough to address an abdominal apron.

Your age is not, in and of itself, an absolute contraindication to surgery.  When assessing a patient I take into account all possible risk factors.  Some 64 year olds may be physiologically younger than other 46 year olds.  With your underlying medical conditions (diabetes and hypertension) you should be very cautious before proceeding with any surgery.  A thorough evaluation by your internist is in order.   You should carefully consult with him/her and your surgeon before proceeding.  You might be interested to read the blog by one of my older patients (“Pottery Granny”) at the link below.  Good luck.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal Pannus Needs Tummy Tuck Not Liposuction

+2

The very use of the word 'pannus' as it relates your abdomen makes it clear that no form of liposuction will be effective. What you need is removal of the pannus, known as an abdominal panniculectomy or a 'simple' tummy tuck. Given your age and the two medical conditions that you have mentioned, you will need a medical workup and clearance from your doctor. You will still be able to have surgery once cleared and it may be possible that you will develop some improvement in your medication requirements for your blood pressure and diabetes.  

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Liposuction not applicable to overhanging panniculus

+2
Liposuction of any kind will not help your problem and would actually worsen the overhang of the skin apron. You would, in all likelihood, require full abdominoplasty because it is likely that, after three caesareans, you would have a diastasis rectus. However, first and foremost in any board certified plastic surgeon's analysis of your situation would be the diabetes and high blood pressure. These conditions, if unstable, would preclude any cosmetic surgery. If your medical conditions are stable, you would require medical clearance from your treating physician and would be at risk for complications during and after teh procedure.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Lipo for apron

+2

Any form of liposuction is completely inappropriate. I would stay away from any doctor who recommends this to you. I agree that your overall health needs to be evaluated and careful consideration to having elective surgery.

Michael Hueneke, MD

Treatment of Abdominal Apron?

+2

It is hard to give you good advice without direct examination;  however,  based on your description you may not be a candidate for  elective plastic surgery  at all. I would suggest  consultation with your primary care physician to evaluate your suitability for any type of procedure.

If the diabetes and high blood pressure are under excellent control and you have no other medical issues that would potentially ( further) complicate your surgery,  then the only  procedure that may be indicated is a panniculectomy.

I would suggest you proceed with extreme caution.

Tummy apron and Lipo

+1

Lipo Therme and Lipo Tickle give minimal results. If you have an abdominal apron and want it removed, see a Board-certified plastic surgeon. Surgical removal will likely be the best solution if you are a candidate.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Liposuction - I Had 3 C-sections and Have a Huge Apron. Will Lipo Therme and Lipo Tickle Help Me?

+1

Impossible to say without being able to examine you in person but, based on what you describe, I do not think that Lipo - any form - is the appropriate surgical choice for you.  It sounds like you will need a tummy tuck in order to recontour your abdomen.  However, in view of your age and medical problems you may not be a good candidate medically for such a procedure.  Instead, though, you may want to consider a "panniculectomy," in which the excess skin and fat from the lower abdomen are removed without operating on the area above the BB, which is what often contributes to the increased risk of a standard TT.  Again, I'm discussing this in a vacuum, but perhaps these thoughts will help you focus on some things to discuss with your PS.  Which is, of course, what you should do next.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,
Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

A large "apron" of abdominal tissue will not go away with liposuction.

+1

Liposuction is not a substitute for excessive skin. Prior to any cosmetic surgery, be sure that your surgeon is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Your surgeon needs to discuss your health status and appropriateness for elective surgery with you and your primary care physician.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Fat treatments alone will not work for "Huge Apron" after 3 c-sections

+1

Hi there-

Without seeing you and examining you, it would be difficult to say for sure, but based on your descriptions, it sounds like you need more than liposuction or non-invasive treatments.

Be sure your medical conditions are under good control, obtain your medical doctor's blessing, and then go visit a reputable surgeon Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery for a consultation.

Remember that shortcuts rarely pay off in life.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

+1

If you have a "huge apron" do not waste your time and monies for non invasive therapies. Sounds like a full TT is needed. Best to have in person evaluations with boarded PSs