Concerned About Tooth Loss from Moving Them Around

I am 63 years old. Healing is an issue for a 60 year old. I need one front tooth extracted to make room for the tooth movement...should I be concerned? Is $5470.00 a good # for a full mouth invisilign? How long will it take?

Invisalign at 63

+2

Your age has little affect on any orthodontic correction regardless of which appliance is used, so don't worry about using Invisalign for that reason.  As far as the specific treatment plan goes, it is very hard in a forum like this to really analyze all the aspects of a case.  In general a lower incisor extraction is a treatment plan for a particular type of crowding problem and bite.  I assume that your orthodontist has analyzed your case and is presenting you with a good plan.  One thing you might wish to ask your orthodontist is whether, when you are all finished with Invisalign, the roots of the teeth adjecent to the extraction site will parallel, or whether those teeth will be "tipped".  In general it is considered better if the roots are parallel and also it usually looks better than if they are tipped.

Seattle Orthodontist

Invisalign is a safe method at any age

+2
There should be no issue with age, despite fears of osteoporosis. Time in treatment varies from case to case, the average case is one year. Your quoted fee is in line with the national average.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Extraction and Invisalign

+2

The price you have been quoted is in align with what dentists charge for Invisalign.  Your age will not affect the healing of your tooth extraction even in women with osteoporosis.  The upper and lower jaws are the least affected with age.

Invislign length of treatment depends on what the teeth look like prior to treatment.  80% of my cases also will have additional trays with refinement to finish the teeth and give you the best result

Kathy Frazar, DDS, FAGD
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Age is not an issue with Invisalign.

+1

Making sure you are healthy enough is the key. Diabetes and aspirin therapy should be looked into before any surgical procedure. If you are in good health then there shouldnt be any problems. Extraction is always necessary for invisalign so make sure you have understood all the options. Fees range from $3k to 6k for 12 months of treatment so you are in the ballpark with that..Good luck..

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign is safe at any age

+1

Don't worry about your age and moving teeth.  As long as the teeth and supporting structures are in good health you will be fine.  I assume the single tooth removal you reference would be a lower front tooth.  If the lower front teeth are extra large compared to the upper front teeth, then this can make sense so that the aligned teeth in the lower will match up with the upper when finished.   Otherwise, I personally don't like removing any permanent teeth with orthodontic treatment, as there are other options to avoid extractions.  The $5470 is a good deal if the dentist doing the Invisalign is well experienced. 

Kent Lauson, DDS, MS
Denver Orthodontist