Can I Get Mammaplasty for Years of Back, Neck, and Shoulder Pain?

I am a 63 year old woman 5 ft. 10 in and wear a 44i bra.

Mammaplasty for Pain?

+1

You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for a thorough evaluation to determine your candidacy for breast reduction. From your brief description you seem to have symptoms of breast enlargement and may benefit from breast reduction . Certainly your age alone would not be a contraindicating factor.

Wanting a Breast Reduction

+1

You sound like a good candidate for breast reduction surgery. You would definitely get relief of your back, neck and shoulder pain. If you are asking if your insurance would cover your procedure, chances are good that it would, if it is a policy that covers this procedure. The best way to find out is to have your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon's office check on your benefits for you. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

You should've done it long ago !

+1

I would recommend the procedure no matter what your age providing that your health allows this to be done safely. This would need to be assessed by your plastic surgeon together with your other health professionals if necessary.

This procedure is very gratifying in terms of the relief of the symptoms that you mention.

Rodney A. Green, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction

+1

Absolutley. Years of neck and back pain unresolved by conservative therapy is one of the most common indications for a reduction mammoplasty. Patients who suffer from neck pain, back pain, and shoulder grooving ususally get relief within days of their surgery.

Robert Heck, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction at 63

+1

Breast reduction is one of the most satisfying Plastic surgery procedures and you seem to be a good candidate.

The next step would be to get medical clearance from your PCP and dont forget to get a mammogram if you havent had one the last year.

Neck and back pain usually resolves very quickly after the reduction.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction for Back Neck and Shoulder Pain

+1

Breast Reduction helps reduce alleviate or reduce symptoms of back, neck and shoulder pain most of the time if these symptoms are caused by or exacerbated by large sagging breasts.  The weight of the breasts pulls forward and down causing strain on the neck and upper back muscles.   Reducing the breasts and lifting them brings the breasts closer into the center of gravity and reduces some of this pull and stress on the posture.  Breast reduction is one of the highest patient satisfaction procedures.  I have performed this procedure on women age 13 to 78 with excellent results and improvement in symptons.  It is considered a medically necessary procedure by some insurance companies and is a covered procedure if certain criteria are met.  Seek a board certified Plastic Surgeon to get a consultation and get more information about this procedure and your particular situation. 

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

Yes, there is no reason, assuming that you're in good health, that you could not undergo a breast reduction procedure. Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we do. I would not be surprised if you find that you wish you would've had the procedure done earlier in your life.

I would suggest that you see your primary care physician or internist to check your overall health status and suitability for breast reduction surgery and general anesthesia. Then, see a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon for good advice. Good luck!

Breast reduction for women over 60yrs old

+1

Of course you can have a breast reduction. You must, however, be healthy or be cleared by your primary physician, cardiologist, etc. Women of advanced age do quite well after plastic surgery. Just remember to seek the advice of your primary physician and consult a Plastic Surgeon who is board certified in your state. Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Reduction for 44i cup

+1

You would most certainly qualify for a breast reduction.  The symptoms that your refer to are the hallmarks for patients who benefit the most from this procedure. A month or so after surgery, you will be asking yourself why did I wait so long to get it done.  Seek the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  Good luck!

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon