I Am 63 but Look 10 Years Younger. Can I Still Have a Safe and Succesful Tummy Tuck?

Generally ok health. Although overweight (185 lbs./ 5'2") much of the mass is my big belly that if I could get rid of will improve my figure drastically and make me very happy. I have a long vertical scare from an old gall bladder surgery when I was 17 yrs. old that also makes the belly a bit crooked. Is it possible to also make the scar less visible? I am in the bay area, California. Thanks for your feedback.

Am I too old for a tummy tuck?

+2
Hello and thank you for your question. Age is definitely not the most important factor in health. As long as you are cleared by your primary care doctor for surgery, I.e. No major medical problems and in good cardiovascular shape, you should do well. A vertical midline scar will actually aide your plastic surgeon in giving you a very nice contour. Skin and fat can be removed from the horizontal direction using this incision along with removing skin and fat from the vertical direction using the bikini line incision. However, if the scar is a diagonal scar over the right upper abdomen, this will not help, and possibly may make the surgeon to be more conservative with the surgery, although the incision was made long ago. Losing weight and getting in better cardiovascular shape will aide your result and your recovery process. Best Wishes, Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck in the 60's.

+2

Yes you can! You will in all likelihood have a safe and successful procedure right now.  However, you can decrease your potential risk of having complications by losing some weigh, as was mentioned by more than one other surgeon on this post. Weight loss will also make it easier to give you a nice contour out of this operation.

Speaking generally, without the benefit of your photographs; having the vertical scar is not a problem, in fact, it gives us the ability to remove more skin in the transverse dimension and to improve the crookedness you mention. Judicious liposuction may also be used to improve contour.

Good luck.

Morgan E. Norris, MD, FACS

Age and Tummy Tuck

+1

You are not too old for a tummy tuck. What is more important is your overall health status. Please visit with a board certified ASPS member surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck at 5'2" 185 lbs

+1

I have performed many tummy tucks on patients in their sixties.  Although the weight is a little much at your current height, a tummy tuck will probably improve your belly a great deal.  The gall bladder scar will have to be addressed at the consultation with a physical exam to determine what is reasonable.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Health is more important than age of patient for Cosmetic Surgery

+1

As long as you are a healthy 63 years old your tummy tuck would pose no problem.

However you have to be ideal weight to have a good satisfying outcome from tummy tuck.  At your present weight you will not have a great result.  You should loose weight prior to surgery.  Consult BMI chart available on web to find out how much weight you should plan to lose before having surgery.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Good Candidate for Tummy Tuck Surgery at 63?

+1

You may be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery at some point;  it will be in your best interest to achieve a long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with surgery. Also, in my practice, I would ask that you see your primary care physician or internist and undergo a medical workup prior to proceeding with surgery.

Am I a good candidate for an abdominoplasty at age 63?

+1

Age is not the most important factor when determining if a patient is a good candidate for an abdominoplasty.  If you are in good physical condition and you do not have any major health problems then you should be a good candidate for an abdominoplasty.  You are overweight with a BMI of 33.  A BMI of greater than 30 is in the obese range.  You will have less risk and have a better result if you lose 30 to 40 pounds prior to considering the surgery.  

Safety of Tummy Tuck In Older Age Group

+1

Abdominoplasties can be safely performed in healthy patients into their seventies.  The technique is important. I prefer local anesthesia with sedation which eliminates most of the risks of anesthesia, especially blood clots, and in my practice has had high patient satisfaction. The patients do not remember the procedure, much like a colonoscopy.  There are a number of technical aspects to the procedure which can reduce postoperative pain, and speed recovery. I suggest that you talk to the surgeon you choose about their  techniques.

Thomas A. Mustoe, MD, FACS

+1

Yes you can.j

Without a photo it isn't possible to answer the question about how much improvement of your old vertical scar. 

The one serious risk factor that is present is your weight. Risk of wound and other complications escalate when the BMI is over 30. To get into a favorable risk category, you would need to get down to 165. Not only would your procedure be safer, your outcome would be better.

All the best. 

Tummy tuck age 63

+1

Hi,

Age is not the limiting factor for anyone seeking body contouring.  Medical conditions at any age might have your doctors recommending against it but that is so patient specific.

If you are unhappy with your look at age 63 or any age, seek the opinion of a board certified plastic surgeon and go from there.  You might need medical clearance but this is routine for many patients seeking elective surgery.

Good luck with your consultations.

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon