I'm 62 years of age. Am I too old to have a tummy tuck?

I'm 62yo. Am I too old to have a tummy tuck?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Too old for tummy tuck?

+1
Thank you for your post. Age is not a contraindication to surgery. Poor health is. If you are a healthy adult, and interested in a tummy tuck surgery, meet with a board certified plastic surgeon. He or she will assess you as a patient for any risks you might have. The biggest risks are heart disease, diabetes, smoking, high blood pressure, and previous history of deep venous thrombosis.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Surgery is not Only for the Young!

+1
I have many women in their 60's that have had a tummy tuck procedure. See the before and after photos of a 62 year old woman in the attached website link. As long as you are in good health you should have no problem. Be sure to find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Age for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Your age is certainly not a contraindication to having a tummy tuck. There are a
number of factors that are more important: Your general health, individual anatomy,
realistic expectations, and a full understanding of the benefits as well as the
potential problems that can occur with the procedure.

I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. If you decide to undergo the procedure, I would suggest a medical clearance from your primary physician before proceeding with a tummy tuck.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Age for a tummy tuck

+1

Elaine, all of the doctors have given you good advise but the most important is your overall health and having realistic goals for what you want to achieve. Age is not the limiting factor but a consultation with an experienced is the best way to determine what it is the best procedure for you.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Too Old For Tummy Tuck? #tummytuck

+1

Thank you for your question. So, there really is no age that is too old for this procedure. The job of the surgeon is not only to educate you about the procedure, but also to assess your physical ability to undergo this kind of surgery. I always assess a patient's heart health as well as the rest of the body to determine if medically one can tolerate the operation. Anesthesia today is very safe and so few people have a problem with the anesthesia portion of surgery. I perform facelifts in 70+ year olds all the time and they can be asleep for 3-6 hours depending on how much I am doing. So, the bottom line is if you are healthy enough and are cleared by your surgeon and primary care doctor then you should be able to have this procedure.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Age for a tummy tuck

+1

There is no maximum age for a tummy tuck. The maximum age depends more upon medical history and comorbidities. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Age for Tummy Tuck

+1

There is no absolute age cut off for having a tummy tuck. The important thing is your health and activities. If you health is good and you are active and an abdominoplasty would help you psychologically as well as help to fit clothing etc., then, by all means, go for it. When she use see a qualified plastic surgeon who operates in a certified facility.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

+1

Age is not enough to disqualify you from a tummy tuck. If you are a good candidate and are otherwise healthy, you can have the tummy tuck.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Age for an abdominoplasty

+1

It is not your age but your health that is important. If you are in good health then certainly one could go forward with an abdominoplasty.

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon