Is 61 Too Old for a Breast Reducion?

I am 4'11" tall, weigh 136 lbs. Good health but concerned if I am too old for the procedure.

Is 61 too old for a breast reduction?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.  Complaints such as neck pain, back pain, infections, etc. are such that you should consider the breast reduction.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Too old for breast reduction/lift?

+1
Thank you for your post. Age is not a contraindication to surgery. Poor health is. If you are a healthy adult, and interested in a breast reduction or lift surgery, meet with a board certified plastic surgeon. He or she will assess you as a patient for any risks you might have. The biggest risks are heart disease, diabetes, smoking, high blood pressure, and previous history of deep venous thrombosis. If you are having back pain, neck pain, bra strap grooving, rashes under the breast fold, or just desire a breast lift, meet with a highly qualified surgeon.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

The most important factor in determining eligibility for surgery is not your age but your overall health.

+1

There are woman in their 30s and 40s who would benefit from breast reduction surgery but have medical problems that make the risks of surgery too high, and for someone like yourself, in their 60s but in good health and with no smoking history, breast reduction can be extremely gratifying and I would have no problem recommending the surgery.  Many patients have breast reduction surgery in their 60s, and not only to they look better but they are amazed at how much better they feel without all that extra weight on their shoulders.  I would suggest you have a consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon to discuss your options.  

Michael H. Rosenberg, MD
White Plains Plastic Surgeon

There are no fixed age limits for undergoing a breast reduction

+1

If you are having symptoms related to your large breasts or just want them smaller and are relatively healthy, then your age should not be a factor. I have performed countless breast reductions in women in their 60's and 70's who were so ecstatic with the outcome. In fact many of these same women emphatically stated had they known then what they know now they would have had the procedure done years ago. 

Breast reduction performed in the right patient can markedly improve your quality of life - at virtually any age.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast Reduction in the elderly

+1

I do not think your age excludes you from breast reduction surgery.   I would just want to ensure that you need a breast reduction (removal of breast tissue and skin) and not a breast lift (removal of breast skin only).   As we age, the skin loses its elasticity and stretches.   This is an indication for a breast lift.   If you have a large volume of breast tissue that is now taking its toll on your neck and back, then a reduction is indicated.   I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast reduction is for all ages!

+1

Provided that you are healthy, not extremely overweight and a non-smoker this is an excellent operation for all women suffering from heavy breasts.

It is one of the most satisfying procedures, since no patient ever regrets having done it.

Go for it!

Ivar van Heijningen, MD
Belgium Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

My oldest patient for breast reduction was 71 and she had no problems.  As long you are healthy, and even with minor, controlled medical problems (i.e. hypertension), you should do well.  See your primary care physician if have any concerns. 

Shahin Javaheri, MD

61 is not too old for breast reduction surgery as long as you are in good health

+1

There is no upper age limit for breast reduction surgery.  Women in their sixties and seventies in good health have aesthetic surgery frequently.  Breast reduction surgery can really improve comfort.  You are not too old.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Too Old for Breast Reduction?

+1

As long as you are in good health, you are almost never “too old.” This is especially true if you are still quite active. One of my happiest breast reduction patients was significantly older than you. Her only regret was that she had waited so long.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Surgery in Women OVER 60 years of Age

+1
All surgery is based on an analysis of potential benefit as outweighed by potential risk. In our society, chronological age is no longer indicative of your physiological age. Older people are healthier than ever and their age is no longer a de facto contraindication to surgery. If you are perfectly healthy and after a thorough examination are cleared for surgery by a cardiologist, there is NO reason why you should not be able to safely have a Breast Reduction and enjoy its results. Dr. Peter Aldea