I Am a 6'1" Athletic M2f. Which Sort Implant is More Durable to a Sport Like Rowing.

I am a 6'1" athletic m2f. Which sort implant is more durable to a sport like rowing.

M2F implants

+2

In general M2F patients have larger pectoralis muscles with less native breast tissue. Rowing is going to cause you to use that muscle. I recommend a sub glandular silicone implant. This will give the most natural aesthetic result without interfering with muscluar function. It also will not move as much with muscluar action.

Regards,

D. Medalie, MD

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants in Athletic Rower

+1

Both types of implants are durable. However, you want to place any implant over the muscle because of your athletic pursuits. Either implant under the muscle has a higher risk of rupture. Additionally, placement below the muscle weakens the muscle and could affect your rowing. In people like you, I use textured silicone implants and get excellent, natural results that have no muscle problems or interference with athletics.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Saline-filled versus Silicone gel implants

+1

Although I like saline-filled implants more due to their safety profile, the rate of rupture in a patient like you might be higher. You will probably go with silicone gel implants if durability is the most important characteristic in your mind.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Durable implants for an atheletic person

+1

I think that both implants, saline and silicone gel, are durable and appropriate for use in athletic patients.  Saline implants have a somewhat higher rate of deflation or rupture than silicone gel implants over time, and since they do not have the natural internal lubrication of gel implants, one could imagine that chronic activities that cause repetitive implant motion might more readily cause implant failure over time in saline implants than in silicone gel implants.  I am not aware of any studies that address this difference in atheletes, however.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Implants for athletes

+1

In general, I recommend sub muscular implants for most women. One of the exceptions are athletes who need to use their chest muscles. An implant placed under the gland will spare the pectorals major muscle and maintain upper body strength. Both saline and silicone implants should be durable enough to withstand the rigors of sport. However, the silicone gel will be less likely to have visible rippling and should look and feel more natural in it's position above the muscle.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon