If I Have 60lbs to Lose Do I Have to Wait Until I Am at my Ideal Weight to Have a Facelift?

Ideal weight for surgery

+2

Although surgeons differ in opinions, I recommend that my patients are within 20 lbs. of his or her ideal weight before moving forward with any procedure. By being at an ideal weight beforehand, the results of surgery will not be negatively impacted by massive weight fluctuations.  Cosmetic procedures do not stop or alter the natural changes that occur within the body due to age or weight changes. It is important to voice any weight concerns with your surgeon so that she or he is able to plan your treatment accordingly.

60 lbs to Lose Before Facelift

+1

I would lose the 60 lbs, before the facelift is performed.  The 60 lbs will likely change the appearance of the face.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Ideal Weight Best for Facelift

+1
If you plan to lose 60 pounds, I would recommend waiting until you are at your ideal weight before undergoing a facelift. It helps to be at your ideal weight when you have your facelift, because this can prevent the need for additional surgeries to remove excess skin should you subsequently lose weight

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Best to be at ideal body weight prior to undergoing a facelift

+1

It is always best to be at your ideal body weight prior to undergoing a facelift.  Think about the amount of extra skin the patient will have after a 60-pound weight loss.  Patients will get a better facelift because the fat is simply in the way and obstructing the facial features.  Lose excess weight prior to undergoing elective cosmetic procedures.

Weight Loss & Having a Facelift

+1

It is optimal to be within 10-15% of your BMI when having any type of elective aesthetic facial surgery, especially a facelift. Certainly, if you’re going to lose more I would have the patient wait at least 6-9 months after their weight has stabilized.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Weight Loss and Facelifts

+1

If you are more than 15 pounds from your "ideal weight" you should probably hold off on undergoing facelifting surgery until your weight has stabilized for a few months.  This will ensure an optimal result that gives you the best chance for a long-lasting lift.  Patients who have facelifts and then lose or gain considerable weight pose a higher risk for needing a revision or touch-up procedure.  This is because a face that has lost volume from weight loss tends to fall more quickly than a face that has not experienced fluctuations in volume.

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before face lift

+1

Thank you for your question. It is a very good and common question. Losing the wight is a step in the right direction before any cosmetic surgery. When your weight is ideal and maintained for a period for 6-12 months, then you can start having cosmetic procedure. Don't rush to surgery if you are trying to lose weight.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

+1

Sixy pounds to lose is quite a bit, for the best results you should try to lose as much as possible, if sixty pounds is a realistic goal that you think you can achieve then you should lose as much as you can before surgery so you will get the best result.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Weight loss and facelift

+1

I would get to your ideal weight and then have a facelift, especially if you are going to lose 60 lbs.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Should I reach my ideal weight before having a facelift?

+1

It is best to lose as much of the weight as possible prior to having a facelift performed.  This is beneficial for the following reasons:

1) You will prevent the skin from sagging, which may result if you lose weight after the surgery

2) It is beneficial to your overall health

I typically encourage patients to get within 10 pounds of their goal weight. This will help the patient achieve the best overall result, and prevent any unwanted changes from taking place. Thanks and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon