600cc Implants...probability of Stretch Marks?

My stats: 5'9", 155, wider frame;A cup; got SMs on hips during puberty, but few since hi everyone, my aug is in 2 weeks. i would like 2 get an idea of what 2 expect re: stretch marks post aug. i've research & most of the info seems like junk science or vague generalities. i would feel more comfortable w/some honest feedback based on a ps's extensive experience. if i do get them after surgery and get laser treatments right away, can i avoid the hideous light shiny long term scars? Thx!

Stretchmarks

+1
Stretchmarks may develop with larger implants, but if you don't have a tendency to develop them, then you may be okay. It's really genetic disposition and weight fluctuations that are big factors.

Stretch marks are permanent and can be improved with skin treatments, however these generally take many sessions to achieve any noticeable improvement. In addition, results are unpredictable.

Breast implants, stretch marks

+1

Implants of such large volume are ill-advised regardless of stretch marks. Even on larger framed patients, the re-operation rates with implants in this volume range are very high. Over time, the implants become mal-positioned due to their excessive weight. Stretch marks appear to be more genetically pre-determined than anything, but agressive stretching of tissues could lead to them. If nothing else, I would anticipate neck and back discomfort over the long term. Breast augmentation is a wonderful procedure when certain limitations are respected.

Patti A. Flint, MD

Stretch marks and breast augmentation

+1

It is possible to develop stretch marks from a breast augmentation. Stretch marks are scars within the skin that form from rapid expansion in size. You state that you are an "A" cup breast and are going to have 600cc implants placed. Please note that 600cc are large implants. Depending on the elasticity of your skin and it's ability to support these implants, you may or may not develop stretch marks. No surgeon can predict if you will have these, but it is an important factor to discuss when placing large implants in small breasts.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Stretch Marks - If you rapidly stretch it - they WILL come

+1

Regarding: "600cc Implants...probability of Stretch Marks?
My stats: 5'9", 155, wider frame;A cup; got SMs on hips during puberty, but few since hi everyone, my aug is in 2 weeks. i would like 2 get an idea of what 2 expect re: stretch marks post aug. i've research & most of the info seems like junk science or vague generalities. i would feel more comfortable w/some honest feedback based on a ps's extensive experience. if i do get them after surgery and get laser treatments right away, can i avoid the hideous light shiny long term scars? Thx
!"

Stretch Marks after more appropriately called Stretch Cracks. As the skin is rapidly pushed forward and stretched maximally, it cracks. The fresh cracks fill with vascular tissue and appear red but with time as the blood vessels go away the stretch marks become silvery white. There is NO METHOD ON THE MARKET. including lasers, which erase them. All lasers will do is change the color to the silvery white color - quicker.

The combination of A cup breasts and 600 cc implants in ambitious and will result in MORE than just stretch marks. It will likely result in breast and skin thinning as well as rapid sagging. There is no science to accurately predict stretch marks but I your chances of getting them are extremely high AND no laser would make them go away.

You may wish to consider the implant volume.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Stretch marks following 600cc implants

+1

The development of stretch marks depends on the rapidity with which the overlying skin expands, either with growth, weight gain, pregnancy, etc and is a function of the location of the skin, skin type and reason for skin expansion.  I've noted a propensity for lighter complected women to develop pink spider veins when implanted from "a" to "dd" cups; these can sometimes recede, after the acute phase. When the diameter of the stretch marks exceeds 3mm, these often "burn out" to widened white marks.   Darker complected individuals whose skin is slightly thicker tend to do better.  Lasers tuned to the wavelength of Hemoglobin are sometimes useful but I'd be more inclined to track the Palomar laser, which actually repigments white stretch marks.  Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Breast augmentation and stretch marks

+1

I can be quite specific for you both from experience and the physiologic mechanism of stretch mark formation. 

Stretch marks are scars in the dermis of the skin that form without breaking the surface (epidermis) of the skin. They are caused by rapid stretch or growth in the presence of hormone flux such as puberty, pregnancy, taking steroids, or in certain medical conditions. They are not caused by breast augmentation and most plastic surgeons should know this because even tissue expanders do not cause stretch marks without the steroids. 

The skin of the breast and its tone, existing stretch marks, tattoos, or scars should not be changed by a properly sized and positioned breast implant. Even a 600 cc implant which is almost certainly too big to fit your breast in one procedure, will not cause stretch marks but may cause distortion or end up in the wrong position because it didn't fit where it is supposed to be. 

Properly sized breast implants have a diameter that is 3/4 cm or so smaller than the width of the breast and are at most a high profile volume that is scaled to the width. The Mentor saline-filled high profile implant is not scaled for the width, but the Allergan high profile saline-filled implant is. In gel-filled high profile breast implants, both Allergan and Mentor have properly scaled high profile volumes. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks resulting from Breast Augmentation are quite rare.

+1

In my 36 years of performing implant surgery I am hard pressed to remember any patient developing stretch marks from her augmentation and I have inserted numerous implant sizes of 600cc and larger. This includes one patient in whom a 1200cc implant was inserted. I vaguely remember one patient that did develop stretch marks but I cannot recall her size implants. Nevertheless, I would say that your risk of forming stretch marks is quite small but not totally impossible.  Unfortunately, I know of no treatment that will reliably eliminate a stretch mark regardless of its source. There are some modalities that do somewhat minimize their appearance but again, do not erase them totally. On a different note, I might add that your choice of 600cc implants given your body dimensions seems a bit  large to achieve a natural result. You might rethink your desired implant size.

David A. Ross, MD

Some Stretch Marks are Probable.

+1

You have had stretch marks form before and are considering 600 cc implants. In going from no implants to fairly large 600 cc implants in one operation, you are likely to form some stretch marks. You could stage the enlargement over more than one operation to more slowly stretch your tissues. That would likely reduce or eliminate your development of stretch marks, but it would be more expensive and time consuming.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

600cc Implants...probability of Stretch Marks

+1

Great question. Impossible to predict the answer if there will be stretch marks. It is a "leap of faith" but even with thses marks would you be happy? That is the real question. 

Stretch marks after a breat augmentation

+1

Stretch marks are difficult to predict after having a breast augmentation. Most of the patients that get them are those that had them before.