I Am 60 Years Old. Am I Too Old for Botox?

For most cosmetic procedures, age is not nearly as important as the status of your health,

+1

and Botox is certainly no exception.  Many of my patients who regularly receive Botox treatment are over 60, and they are very happy with their results.  Some also benefit from filler injections, and some from laser resurfacing and other skin care regimens, but Botox is an important element of their overall care.  As long as you remain satisfied with the results, and your treating physician agrees that your overall health is good,  I see no reason why your age should stop you from receiving Botox treatments.

White Plains Plastic Surgeon

Botox at age 60

+1

I have injected patients as old as 80 years old with very good results, as far as forehead wrinkles and wrinkles around the eyes.

However,  don't rely on Botox to completely rejuvenate your face. You may need fillers, Thermage, Laser Resurfacing, etc, in addition to Botox.

An experienced, Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon should be able to advise you  as to your choices.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Too old for Botox?

+1

Hi Kalabash. No, age alone is generally not a contraindication to botox treatment. Your overall health status is much more relevant and should be reviewed by your doctor prior to botox treatment. As a point of reference, the American Academy of Plastic Surgeons' 2010 statistics demonstrate that among those in the the over-55 age group, treatment with botox is the single most commonly-performed minimally-invasive procedure and accounted for 23% of all minimally-invasive procedures performed in this age group. Good luck.

James M. Pearson, MD

Your candidacy for Botox should be based on evaluation of your skin

+1

Your candidacy for Botox should be based on evaluation of your skin.  What it comes down to is whether you would benefit from the treatment, rather than asking if you are too old.  Find a trusted doctor experienced with Botox or Dysport or any botulinum agent and ask whether it would be safe and effective for you.  Keep in mind that it will work best for those lines that form with muscle contraction (e.g. forehead lines, crow's feet, neck bands).  Moreover, it may soften or even prevent those fixed skin lines (i.e. those lines present even when muscles are at rest) that develop over time with repeated contraction.

Robert T. Anolik, MD

Am I too old for Botox?

+1

As the saying goes you are only as old as you feel, well the same could be said for Botox, besides sixty is young!! There is no reason why Botox can not be used in someone 60 years young. The only caution I would point out is that as we age we tend to rely more on our forehead muscles to keep our eyebrows up. So when I treat patients for forehead lines I always make an assessment as to what effect treating their forehead lines will have on their eyebrow height. All that is required is a very easy adjustment on dosing and of the injections.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

You are never too old for Botox Cosmetic

+1

You are never too old for Botox. At some point you may need else too, whether it’s fillers or surgery but that is best determined in consultation with your Plastic Surgeon.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

BOTOX can be done at all ages.

+1

At 60 years young, you can have great results from Botox.  Botox helps eliminate fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes (crows feet) and frown lines as well.  

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too Old for Toxins?

+1

Although the package insert for Botox is limited to people that are 65 or younger, in practice, many patients older than 65 are injected and they do great. In my practice, I injecto patients older than 65 routinely.

As with all injections , the key to good outcomes is injecting into the right place. So whether you are 35 or 65, injections need to be individualized to your anatomy and muscle mass.
A young looking, fit 75 year old may need a totally different inejction than someone that is not in shape and has less etched in lines

Kenneth Beer, MD
Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox after age 60

+1

As the other panel members stated, Botox & Dysport are excellent treatments for your age and older.  The FDA approval up to age 65 is only because of the studies used for FDA clearance/approval.  However, this doesn't mean that those beyond age 65 will not benefit from treatments.

If you are new to Botox/Dysport at age 60, be certain to have mutually shared goals and expectations with your practitioner.  Oftentimes, combining cosmetic dermal fillers to complement the Botox and Dysport treatments will lend to a satisfying outcome.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

No, Botox or Dysport works great in people over 60.

+1

No, Botox or Dysport works great in people over 60.  Many of my personal patients are over 60 years old and Botox or Dysport works great in people of your age.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon