I am 60, 5 ft and 138. I have diabetes controlled by metformin. Am I a good candidate for a TT?

Diabetes and #Tummy-Tuck can be done with proper pre-op work-up!

+1

Diabetes can affect the blood vessels when performing tummy-tucks, breast lift and facelift surgery. If your diabetes is controlled, if you are not obese (138lbs) and if you are a non-smoker, your risk of delayed healing is still very very low. Your safety-conscious #plasticsurgeon will surely have an ECG done pre-op to make sure your heart is healthy for this 3,5 hrs procedure.

Best, Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto #TummyTuck plastic surgeon, Voted Top Plastic Surgery ClinicToronto 2013

Diabetes & Elective Surgery

+1

It is safe to have elective surgery like a tummy tuck with a history of diabetes as long as you are well controlled and you have no major illnesses. Diabetes increases your risk of wound healing problems and infection if your sugars are out of control. If your hemoglobin A1C is below seven, then your risk of these problems after surgery is about the same as someone without diabetes. Best wishes.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and diabetes

+1

I have done many tummy tucks on diabetics. It is important to realize that you have a higher chance of complications but will probably get a wonderful result. Best of luck!

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Risks of Tummy tuck with diabetes

+1

With respect to your age, I would not be too concerned. If you do not have any major heart or lung problems you should do fine. Diabetes is a risk factor for any surgery, but it depends on how well you are controlled. If your blood sugars are reasonably well controlled you should not have any major problems. I hope you don't smoke, because that could be a problem. See a board certified plastic surgeon. They will be able to tell you if you are at any great risk. But based on what you said I don't think it will be a problem.

Saeed Marefat, MD

Web reference: http://www.plasticsurgeon-virginia.com/PlasticSurgeryVirginia/tummy_tuck_virginia.htm

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

From a medical standpoint you sound like a reasonable candidate. many times I will ask your family doctor for his or her opinion prior to surgery to make sure all our bases are covered. Good luck and please see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://richmondsurgicalarts.com

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

Your BMI is 28 - 29. Sounds like you are a good candidate for first a diet. Get your weight down - then the diabetes will be better. At that point , get a consultation with a plastic surgeon and get medical clearance and you will be a much better candidate for a tummy tuck.

+1

You will need medical clearance, but you can likely still proceed with a tummy tuck. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://hughesplasticsurgery.com/tummy-tuck-photo-galleries.php

Am I a good candidate for a TT?

+1

If your heart and lungs function is good, you should be a good candidate. Most surgeons would ask you to consult with your primary physician to make sure that all risks that are manageable can be reduced.