6 Weeks Not Standing Straight?

I'm 43, 5'7",125bs & was very active before tummy tuck 6 weeks ago. I don't have any risk factors but I still cannot stand up straight & can only walk slowly & with discomfort. Any suggestions as to what is wrong & how to improve recovery?

Still hurting 6 weeks after a tummy tuck?

+2

Most patients are standing straight and off pain medicine 10-14 days after a tummy tuck.  By 6 weeks, if all has gone well, you should be working out, lifting weights, training your core etc.. Without knowing the exact location of your pain and examining you, I can't tell you why you are hurting.  It is not normal however to still have the amount of pain you describe and I would definitely recommend that you call your surgeon and bag them examine you.

Can't walk upright after a tummy tuck?

+1

You need to be discussing your concerns with your surgeon.  As the others have said, you should be upright easily after 2 weeks.  Unable to stand straight is not a normal recovery.

Curtis Wong, MD

Talk To Your Surgeon

+1

Please contact your surgeon to discuss this problem. While healing times are different for every patient, 6 weeks seems unusual, particularly when you mention that you were fairly active (and most likely fit, according to your pre-surgery height/weight).  Normally, you would having difficulty walking in just the first couple of days following surgery (hunched over, as you seem to be at the moment). After about 6 weeks, you should be able to perform cardio exercises as well as be able to lift weights. However, it doesn't sound like you're at this point and are still feeling as if it were a couple days after your surgery. How has your recovery been so far? Are you following your surgeon's post-care instructions? Are you taking care of yourself and avoiding strenuous physical activity? Do you smoke? All of these things can have an impact on your recovery.

Talk to your surgeon and find out what the issue may be. This is definitely something that should be addressed, sooner than later.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Recovery from tummy tuck

+1

Everyone recovers a bit differently from a tummy tuck but usually by 6-8 weeks patients can get back to their usual routine. If you are not, it is best to see your surgeon.

6 Weeks Not Standing Straight

+1

It is quite unusual at six weeks to have these issues. Without an examination I am hard pressed  to make any guesses, and therefore I think you need to see your surgeon for an evaluation. He/she may be able to instruct you on some excercises, or make a physical therapy referral if needed.

All the best.