6 Months Post Op and Pain in One Breast? (photo)

I had my surgery on 03 April 2012, high profile, submuscular, 330cc silicon. From the start my left breast was faster to settle. Now at 6 months the breast is lower and feels heavy. I also have a numb pain on the under side of the breast (from nipple down). Is this normal? The breast is soft and moves naturally.

Pain in one breast

+2

These look like larger than 330 cc implants to me. Your left has bottomed out some and the right is also a little too low. I do not have a definite explanation for your pain.  If you would settle for smaller implants (lower profile), I think you may have a better result. I do think revision is something you will have to consider. Best wishes.

Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Six months post op and pain

+1

There does appear to be some asymmetry between the two sides. I would allow a full 9-12 months before coming to any final decisions. Continue with the aggressive massage. 

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

6 Months Post Op and Pain in One Breast?

+1

In reviewing the posted photos, YES you left is slightly lower. The numbness could be acceptable but only in person examination to see if the cutaneous nerves are regenerating needs to be done. To correct would take another operation. So something to think about. 

Post op pain and asymmetry

+1

The pain and numbness may take up to a year to resolve and is not unusual.  Rarely is it permanent.  Of more concern is the asymmetry of your lower folds.  The left side should be supported with good bra support as this area is still healing.  The right side may drop more  with the help of a breast stabilizer band on the right side and implant displacement exercises.  it is easier to help an implant drop a bit during the healing phase vs keeping an implant from dropping too far...I agree that if the left side continues to drop, you may need a revision.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Preop and Postop Breast Asymmetry

+1

Your preoperative photos show a subtle asymmetry between your right and left Nipple to Infra-Mammary Fold distances. The right Nipple to Infra-Mammary Fold distance appears slightly shorter than your left. When an asymmetry like this is not recognized preoperatively and implants are placed under the breasts without lowering the shorter side to match the longer side, it may appear as if one side is not settling as quickly as the other. Sometimes a simple solution in the early postoperative period is to perform implant displacement massage on the side that appears too high. In your case it is the right side. At 6 months postop, you can still try this. But, if there is no significant change after 4-6 months, then the asymmetry can be improved with surgery.

With regard to numbness and pain, these symptoms can certainly occur after breast augmentation. Generally, pain should resolve a few weeks after surgery. Numbness, however, can be temporary or permanent. Thanks for sharing your questions and photos. Good Luck!

Gregory Park, MD

Breast asymmetry

+1

Thanks for your question and photos.  Looking at your post op photo, there is some definite asymmetry of the breasts that does not seem evident in the pre op photos.  The inframammary fold on the left appears lower.  It is possible that the left breast implant is dropping below the fold.  I would recommend follow up with your surgeon as this may require a revision if the implant continues to drop.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Pain in One Breast

+1

I am not sure I can offer an explanation for the pain, but there is some asymmetry and it appears that the left breast is "bottoming out." The fold is lower, and I would have to ask if that was present right after surgery or if it developed afterward, and if it has been progressing. 

It is something that can be fixed, but would require surgery. 

Thanks for your question, and for the photos you attached. Best wishes.