6 Lbs Gain After Tummy Tuck?

I had a tummy tuck 4 months ago here in Michigan and I was flat the first couple of days after and then the swelling started I was told that it is normal and it will go away well it's been four months now and guess what it's still here the great swell hell. I went in to see my ps last week and she tells me that I've gained 6 lbs and that why my tummy is not flat.... Is this true.... I had a full Tt with muscle repair and lipo.... Answers please

Weight Gain after Tummy Tuck

+1

If you do not have a fluid collection and the plication is intact, then the area may need a little more liposuction or you may still be swollen.  I typically advise patients to wait at least 6 months to evaluate results.

6 Lbs Gain After Tummy Tuck?

+1

Some photos would be useful hear--preferably from both before and after your surgery. 

No one can say with certainty that the six pound gain didn't play a causative role, but losing that weight would make that clear.

Other possibilities, in light of the nice early result include seroma (fluid build-up) and loss of abdominal tightening. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Post op

+1

Peoperative and post operative photographs would be nice here. If there is loculated fluid in the area it will resolve or needs to be drained. Weight gain is never good for the results.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Weight gain following an abominoplasty

+1

Developing some degree of swelling is not unusual after an abominoplasty even 4 months after surgery.  Think of your incision like a dam.  Fluid tends to collect above the incision.  This is termed dependent edema.  Massage helps to mobilze this edema but over time the lymphatic channels will reform and drain this area into the lymph nodes in the groin.   This only one possible cause of your swelling and weight gain.  Other possible causes could be a seroma or collection of fluid in a pocket under the skin.   Give it more time, your plastic surgeon is in the best possible position to determine the best course of action.  

Weight gain following tummy tuck.

+1

Thanks for your question.  It is normal to gain weight following a tummy tuck but at some point the swelling should resolve and the weight gain should go away.  It normally takes up to 3 months for this to occur.  A tummy tuck is not a weight loss procedure but in the end, following normal recovery, you should loose a small amount of weight.  I would make sure that you don't have any fluid accumulation (seroma).  If this is not the case and everything looks fine it may be the you have gradually gained weight over the past few months due to the recovery and not being able to work out.  Hope this helps somewhat.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon