5weeks Pregnant and I Think my Implant Broke Down on One Side

Im 5 weeks pregnant and I think that one of my implants broke (the right breast is much smaller and when I lay down it loss shape) can I wait until after the pregnancy to replace it?

Ruptured Implant Safe

+2

Having a deflation or a rupture of an implant, while not fun to go through, is generally not harmful and should not cause any medical problems.  Waiting until after your pregnany is finished is advisable so that you do not expose your child to any unnecesssary anesthesia.  I would have a check-up with your surgeon to see if it is ruptured or not, then make a plan for a post-pregnancy exchange.  I hope this helps.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Ruptured implant and pregnancy

+1

If you rupture is a saline filled implant I would wait until your pregnancy is over then have it removed or replaced.  If it is a gel implant then it may need to be removed under local anestheisa after your first trimester.  

Ruptured Breast Implant during Pregnancy?

+1

Yes you should wait until after the pregnancy to replace it. Actually, I would suggest that you wait 3 months after you have stopped breast-feeding to evaluate the overall condition of your breasts and decide,  with the help of your plastic surgeon,  what your best options are.

Best  wishes for  an  otherwise smooth pregnancy.

Breast Implant Removal - 5weeks Pregnant and I Think my Implant Broke Down on One Side

+1

I am not aware of any medical problems associated with leaving a deflated saline implant in place for a few months, and that's exactly what I would advise.  You should get in touch with your plastic surgeon (or another plastic surgeon if you prefer or need to) so that someone knows what happening in the event that you do develop a problem (however unlikely).

But I would advise that you leave it alone, let it continue to deflate and your body absorb the saline (which it will typically do without any problems) and, at some more convenient (or less inconvenient!) time in the future, address the replacement of the implant.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS