5 Weeks After Facelift, I Feel Beebee Sized, Tender, Nodules Under my Skin on Sides of Face. What Are They & Why?

5 Weeks after Facelift and Tender Nodules

+1

These nodules are likely plication sutures that should improve with time if absorbable sutures were used.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Tiny Bumps/Nodules by suture line following facelift

+1

Tiny Bumps/Nodules by suture line following facelift are typically buried suture knots. If they are absorbable which is the usual case they will self resolve. If permanent they may remain or eventually work their way out to the skin. Ask your surgeon his thoughts.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Small Nodules after Facelift

+1

Most likely, these are the muscle sutures placed to help reshape your face.  In most cases, they dissolve over 6 months.   I would discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and maintain close followup for this.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Healing after a facelift

+1

The nodules that you can feel underneath the skin after your facelift are likely related to the sutures used to tighten the underlying muscular layer (SMAS). If your surgeon used dissolving sutures, they will likely disappear with time.

Dr. Jamil Asaria, FACE Cosmetic Surgery, Toronto, Ontario

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bumps After A Facelift

+1

Tiny bumps and small asymmetries after a facelift are most likely the result of sutures.  Ideally, sutures are buried so that the patient does not palpate the knot of the suture.  Most of the time with dissolvable sutures these bumps disappear of the next several weeks.  Permanent sutures can sometimes lead to bumps and have a higher incidence of suture extrusion as well.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Most likely these are sutures that will dissolve over the next several months. We use sutures to tighten the layers of tissue beneath the skin, which is the real facelift portion, and those suture knots can be felt until they dissolve. Also sometimes the tissues bunch from being tightened and that will smooth out over 4-6 months.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Concerns regarding nodules after facelift

+1

The nodules you feel are most likely the knots of the sutures which have been tied for the SMAS lift.  The SMAS lift tightens the underlying layers including the muscular aponeurotic there and adds to the longevity of the result of the facelift.  The nodules generally become non-palpable with time.

James Carraway, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Subcutaneous nodules after facelift

+1

The small nodules that you are feeling are most likely due to the knots of the sutures that are used to suspend the mid/ lower face. These are usually dissolving, and may take several months to disappear. light massage may be helpful, but I would suggest you speak to your surgeon about your concerns.

Wilfred Brown, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Bumps after facelift

+1

This may be underlying sutures or contour abnormalities in the tissues under the skin depending on the technique used by your surgeon.  Small hematomas can also cause nodules.  See your surgeon for reassurance.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

5 weeks is the start of when the face will be a little lumpy bumpy.

+1

One persons lumpy bumby is another persons bee bee.  There is a great deal of healing that takes place with a facelift.  There can be some warm and tenderness associated with but these can also be signs of an inflamed suture.  I do strongly recommend going and seeing your surgeon.  Let them assess you and tell you what it going on.  It is their job to worry about you so you can relax and focus on recovery.