I Am Overweight with Diabetes Type2 and Hypothiroidism, is Lipo Dangerous? (photo)

I am 5ft3in About 210lbs with, 23 and ontop of the diabetes and hypothyroidism i suffer from p.c.o.s I was woundering if lyposucsion to remove my belly fat dangerous

Liposuction for belly fat

+1

Firstly, you should not undergo anesthesia until the thyroid is balanced and your diabetes controlled. Once that is done, then you need to understand that liposuction of the abdomen might be possible, but it will not be able to remove the fat inside of your abdomen. That fat is called visceral fat and is wrapped around your internal organs and can only be decreased by diet and exercise.

Liposuction for patient with medical issues

+1

If you are overweight, liposuction is not the solution.  It is appropriate for localized areas of concern.  A patient with diabetes who wants any kind of surgery would be required to obtain medical clearance from a physician.  Also, let me note that, if you are hypothyroid, you should have this condition treated as medication, together with a weight loss program, may be beneficial.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Overweight and want liposuction

+1

Liposuction is not used for weight loss. It is best for contour issues in patients that are close to their ideal weight.

+1

All the previous expert posters are "leading" you to the non candidate status. I must agree in part that you need more medical control before considering elective cosmetic surgery. Liposuction is not for weight control. But there are a few circumstances, with full medical clearance, full understanding of all the risks/complications that if in an in hospital setting liposuction to debulk an area "could" be considered. Seek medical control NOW! 

Candidate for Liposuction

+1

With your current weight and medical status you would not be considered a candidate for elective cosmetic surgery. After weight reduction to 170# or less you would almost certainly see an improvement in your diabetes and likely be able to have some surgery, although I think a Tummy Tuck would be necessary, not liposuction. Remember liposuction is never done for weight control.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Overweight with diabetes and hypothyroidism is liposuction dangerous?

+1

Thank you for your question and photo.  Given the fact that you are overweight, with type 2 diabetes, hypothyroid, and have polycystic ovary syndrome you are not a suitable candidate for liposuction.  I would strongly suggest that you see your internist and gynecologist to get all of these conditions under control before any consideration is given to liposuction. 

Donald M. Brown, MD

Liposuction

+1

It can be very dangerous if your diabetes and thyroid disease get of control during or after surgery. Your surgeon would have to work in coordination with your internist to ensure that does not happen especially if you are on diabetic medications. You are very close to the morbid obesity cutoff so you need to be careful. You did not state what your goals for the liposuction are but if you are expecting to have a flat abdomen after the liposuction that is not a safe or reasonable expectation. If your medical condition is labile the surgery would need to be performed in a hospital to be safe.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD