I Am 5'9" 200lb. Have Lost 90lb. Am I Candidate for Tummy Tuck?

I am 5'9" and just under 200lb. Lost 90 via diet and exercise. I carry a lot of my weight in the stomach. Very slim legs and no butt at all. Would love to get a tummy tuck now but not sure if i am a good candidate. Would love to have my middle match the rest of me.

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+2

Congratulations on your significant weight loss; you should be very proud of this accomplishment. Based on your description, at some point, you may be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery. Much will depend on your physical examination and a full communication of your goals.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you continue to work on your weight loss program; having the procedure done when you have a reached a long-term stable weight will help minimize complications and potentially minimize the need for further surgery in the future.

When the time is right, meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

You may find the following words of advice helpful to you at some point:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery. 

+2

My red flag for safety, that is avoiding excess and manageable risk for my patients is a BMR (basal metabolism rate) of under 30, and you fit that measure, though barely. 

Congratulations on the weight loss. Were I considering you as a surgery candidate I would want to know if you are at your desired weight for a few plan to continue losing more. You will have your best outcome when you are at or close to your desired weight. 

Removing excess tissue from the abdomen after massive weight loss in one of the most satisfying procedures we do.

Meet with a plastic surgeon near you for an evaluation and plan.It is not too early to  see one even if you are months away from a  decision.

Thanks, best wishes.

It is difficult to say without photos but it may very well be that a full tummy tuck is likely your best option.

+1

It is difficult to say without photos but it may very well be that a full tummy tuck is likely your best option.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck after extreme weight loss

+1

It's hard to tell without a picture if you'll need a full or circumfirential tummy tuck, but you'll most likely benefit from some sort of skin removal after your weight loss.  A tummy tuck will also allow your muscles to be tightened simultaneously.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)

+1

It sounds like you are a very good candidate to undergo a complete abdominoplasty. If you have residual fat accumulated in your flnaks, liposuction ( preferably liposelection using ultrasonic technic ) would be helpful. After these procedures, if you have excess skin in your back, you could consider a posterior abdominoplasty to be done separately or have a belt lift as a single procedure now.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

+1

You sound like a good candidate for a tummy tuck

We find that many of our patients continue loosing weight after  the tummy tuck,so this is an added benefit

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck After Weight Loss

+1

By your description and weight loss, you certainly seen like an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck. It will make a big difference in how you feel and look. It appears that you can proceed with this surgery at any time now.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Abdominoplasty after weight loss

+1
Congratulations on your accomplishment. Before having a tummy tuck, ask yourself whether you are at your goal weight. If you plan to lose additional poundage, it would be better to wait until your weight is stable. You are a good candidate for surgery, assuming that your health is good and your blood values within normal limits.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Lost 90 Pounds, Am I Ready For A Tummy Tuck?

+1

Dear clgordon28,

Congratulations on your weight loss.  Quite an accomplishment.  Based on your description, you would appear to be a  good candidate for a tummy tuck but the question is "when" are you going to be to ready?  If you are continuing to lose weight and you have a significant amount of more weight to lose to reach your final goal, then my advice is to wait until you get closer to your goal before proceeding.  If you have the tummy tuck too early and lose a lot more weight, you may lose some of the tightness and shaping that a tummy tuck is designed to give you.  If on the other hand you have reached your target goal, then you should obtain a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who can best determine if you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck and what type of tuck is best for you.  Hope this helps and again, congrats on the weight loss!

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after weight loss

+1

The key to success with tummy tuck after weight loss is a stable weight near your individual goal. You description suggests an 'apple' figure which is the hallmark of high blood pressure and diabetes long term, so lose all you can for the best result and the best health.