I Am 5'8", 145lbs, Breast Width is R14.5cm L14cm. Will MY Dr. Recommendation Get me a DD?

I am 5'8", 145lbs, 32C, and my breast width is R14.5cm L14cm. My PS recommended the Naturelle Style 10 silicone, which I believe is Moderate Profile, in 390cc bilateral. My aesthetic goal is to have a D-DD cup with a natural slope appearance. I am afraid that this is not big enough to achieve this, and that my breast will appear flat and wide. What do you think my outcome will be? I am really nervous.

Implant Selection Process

+1

The larger the implant, the higher the risk of complications.  In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Breast Implant Size Recommendation

+1

In my opinion,  I always think going smaller is better in the long run. However, I'd be out of business if I picked sizes for my patients.  Having said all of this, in my experience at your height and weight you will most likely not achieve the look you're going for with a 390cc implant.  Again, that is just my opinion.  Do keep in mind though that a bra size is made up by a company and isn't a true measurable system. Try on various sized implants to get an idea of what you think looks and feels best for your body.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Implant choices

+1

Without examining you it is hard to tell you what implant would be best for you.  Moderate profile do not give a lot of projection.

Breast Implant Sizing?

+1

For patients planning on breast augmentation surgery it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “D-DD cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Although potentially helpful, I do not think that the use of pre-operative sizers and/or “rice test”  is a precise enough way to communicate goals.  As you can imagine, a breast implant size or placed on the chest wall will not necessarily create the same look as the same size placed on the rib cage ( below the pectoralis muscle).

With computer technology improving,  this may be the next best tool to help with communication between plastic surgeon and patient. However, ultimately it will be the selection of plastic surgeon and his/her ability to communicate with patients to determine their goals,  that will be the most  important variable in achieving the desired end results.

Once you have made the selection of plastic surgeon, continue the communication process until you feel comfortable that you are both on the same page in regards to your size goals.

By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.  

The best implant size to achieve your volume goals

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning

2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. So try these implants in the office to pick which look you like the best.

Hope this helps.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS