58 Years Old and Healthy. Too Old for Implants?

I am in excellent health and exercise daily. I'm 5'8", 126 pounds. Look better now than I ever have. No tummy. Curvy from waist thru hips. But NO breast tissue. Never even filled an A cup. Does my age in and of itself make me a higher risk patient? Because of my extremely small frame up top would I have to go with gel for a natural look and feel? I have had fibrocystic tissue that necessitated ultrasounds in addition to mammograms. Is this an issue? Thank you so much for your advice.

No, age by itself is not a risk factor for elective breast augmenation surgery.

+1

No, age by itself is not a risk factor for elective breast augmenation surgery.  Medical problems can be a risk factor for anesthesia, but age itself is not.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

Age Limit for Breast Implants

+1

Age does play a role in plastic surgery risk, but overall health is the most important factor. In fact, recent plastic surgery statistics have shown an upward trend in patients 65 and older receiving cosmetic enhancement. Additionally, 7,463 patients over the age of 55 received breast implants in the United States in 2011 according to statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. It is important for you to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. During this consultation, you should thoroughly discuss your personal and family medical history as well as your fibrocystic tissue concern to determine any surgical risks.

David Whiteman, MD

Age and breast implants

+1

It is difficult to understand your health without a more thorough discussion. However, your age alone should not hinder you from getting a breast augmentation. I would recommend that you have a mammogram within 1 year of surgery. Good luck! 

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Age and Breast Augmentation

+1
Your age does not hinder you from undergoing a breast augmentation. As long you as you are healthy and free of serious medical conditions, this surgery should be a viable option. I would suggest consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to determine what type of implant to use. Best of luck! 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Healthy and young at heart

+1

If you are a healthy person with an active life style and feel you would improve your confidence and well being by undergoing breast enhancment procedure their should be no reason for you not be able to undergo the procedure.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon with experience to preform your surgery.

Wish you best of luck !

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Too Old for Implants

+1

As long as you are in good health, there is no medical reason to stop you from having augmentation. I have performed breast augmentation on a lady in her 80's for the very first time. Your fibrocystic breasts is not an issue but I do recommend having a mammogram prior to surgery. Each office has their own protocol for the labs you'll need prior to surgery. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Too old for breast implants?

+1

Thanks for your very good questions!

At 58 you are definitely not too old for implants. Studies that look at surgical risk generally report that an older age in and of itself does not predict a higher risk of anaesthetic or surgical problems. Older patients are more likely to have other medical problems that put them at risk of problems (like high blood pressure or diabetes), but you certainly sound like an excellent candidate for surgery. If you are a smoker I would recommend that you quit prior to surgery.

Thin patients are at higher risk of visible implant lines and rippling because they have less tissue to cover the breast implants. Your surgeon will be able to advise what techniques he or she suggests to minimise these problems for you after you visit his/her office. It may be recommended that you have the implants placed under the muscle, and that you select a modestly sized implant. The choice of saline or silicone is also one that should be made after discussion with your chosen surgeon.

Fibrocystic changes in the breast are not a contraindication for breast augmentation. I would recommend that you have a mammogram and ultrasound before the surgery (at least in the 12 months leading up to the surgery) so that you and your surgeon can be as sure as possible that you don't have an unrecognised existing breast problem at the time of surgery.

Good luck with your journey!

Jill Tomlinson, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Too old for breast implants?

+1

Age alone doesn't make you a good or a bad candidate for breast implants.  Regardless of your age, if you are healthy, you may be a good candidate for surgery.  Based on the information that you have provided -- you are healthy, take care of yourself, and have realistic expectations -- you sound like a good candidate.  Only a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon will be able to answer all of your questions, including those regarding mammograms and the effects of implants on breast imaging.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Is 58 Years Old Too Old for Implants?

+1

I always tell people that these issues are a matter of physiological health and not chronological age. If you were 25 and not healthy, you would not be a candidate for breast implants. As long as you are healthy, you will likely be happy and enjoy the enhancement.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Too Old for Augmentation?

+1

Age itself is not a contraindication for breast augmentation.  In fact, I believe you have some advantage over younger women in that you are more likely to have reasonable expectations about the outcome of your surgery and may be more likely to be satisfied with your results.  You are apparently in good health and may be an excellent candidate for the procedure.  Your description suggests that gel implants could be a good choice for you but, of course, you need to discuss this in detail with your doctor to make sure you are well informed about the advantages and disadvantages.  It is important to realize that mammograms are more difficult to interpret after augmentation although fibrocystic changes are usually not considered a reason to avoid augmentation.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon