Best Treatments for Female with Fine Lines, Wrinkles, Sun Damage

I am a 58 year old female with fine lines and wrinkles. I also have some sun damage. My doctor is recommending limelight facial for the sun damage and laser genesis to help with the wrinkles. Another doctor has recommended Fraxel restore. Am I wasting my money on these procedures?

I like Chemical Peels better

+1

There is a lot of hype in the media and on the Internet about lasers. Most of the hype is promoted by the companies that sell the lasers. Some lasers may help a particular condition but sometimes the new and exciting may not be better. Chemicals peels (done by experienced surgeons, those experienced by special standards) can be better, in my opinion, than any laser on the market.

A good quality medical grade skin exfoliation and hydration skin care protocol may be all that is needed for superficial wrinkles and skin changes. Sometimes, a chemical peel may be added to a skin care program for the deeper wrinkles. The important thing to remember is that the depth of the wrinkles will help determine the type of treatment. So even with chemical peeling there are superficial, medium depth, and deep peels.

Check out your options and visit doctors with residency or fellowship training and lots of experience in peeling. Remember also, that a certificate or shingle does not guarantee experience or expertise. Compare what you hear from the laser docs with the peel docs. Remember, just because we have a hammer doesn't mean everything we see is a nail. Post a picture and I will share more specific thoughts.

Good luck!

Germantown Facial Plastic Surgeon