I Am 5'8" and Weigh 165 Lbs and Am a 38DD Is 500 Grams Too Much to Remove? Want to Be a Full C Cup My Doctor Feels 500 is Good.

500 grams is usually the minimal required

+1

500 grams is usually the minimal amount required by insurance companies.  However, 500 grams in your case requires about 2 1/2 cup sizes.  You would change from a 38 DD to perhaps a full B or small C, which may not be acceptable to you.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and 500 gm removal

+1

Without an exam it is difficult to say what 500 gms reduction would do for you. Everyone is a bit different.

Breast Reduction and Achieving C Cup?

+1

Well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be able to give you a much better “estimate” in person than with online consultation.  Remember, as you communicate your goals with your plastic surgeon, that a discussion of cup size can be confusing and/or a source of miscommunication. In my practice, I prefer the use of goal pictures to help with this communication process. Generally speaking, I suggest patients undergoing breast reduction surgery have enough tissue removed to help alleviate/decrease  symptoms they are experiencing,  while preserving enough tissue to feel comfortable about the upper and lower body  proportionality.

If still in doubt about your plastic surgeon's recommendations, seek  consultation with other well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in your area. This will help you achieve peace of mind prior to surgery.

Choosing size with breast reduction

+1

It is not how much is removed that is imprtant in breast reduction, but how much is left behind.....

Breast reduction surgery combines elements af art with the science of medicine.  I recommend to patients a goal of proportionality so that top and bottom contours are in harmony.  Within the realm of "normal" final breast size is the patient's choice.

In my office I have a portfolio of pre- and post-op pictures I review with prospective reduction patients.  In the portfolio there is inevitably someone with the same body type so the prospective patient can see what types of results are possible.  Reviewing a surgeon's portfolio is probably the best way to be sure doctor and patient are on the same page.

Daniel Greenwald, MD