At 5.8 and 185 pounds I'm wondering if I'm a suitable candidate for cool sculpting? (Photo)

I know this isn't a weight loss procedure & despite being overweight I'm comfortable with my size 14 & shape except for the layer of fat over my abdomen. It was suggested that I treat 3 areas - upper & lower abdomen and also flanks (sides). The goal would be to flatten my stomach. Also suggested that I have all areas treated twice within 30 days. The place I consulted at does several sessions of Zimmer Z wave as part of the treatment. I'm wondering what other professionals think .

Suitable candidate for cool sculpting

+1
It does not appear that you are an ideal candidate, but it may still be the best option for you. Consult in person with a board certified physician who can provide surgical options as well as coolsculpting to understand your options.

Not ideal candidate for CoolSculpting but may help

+1
While you may not be the ideal candidate for CoolSculpting, it could still be a great treatment option to help debulk or decrease the size of troublesome areas of fatty tissue.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculting and Abdomen

+1
Coolsculpting is a great procedure for reducing the bulges in the abdominal area and flanks.  From your photos I would expect you to need two treatments to reduce these areas.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with Coolsculpting for the best results.

Michele S. Green, MD

CoolSculpting the abdomen

+1
Thank you for the great pictures and your story. CoolSculpting is a great way to downsize in those stubborn areas that diet and exercise just wont budge. I think that your consult was very accurate. In my opinion, it is a crucial to "de-bulk" the lower and upper abdomen area the first time with the Cool Max applicator, and if necessary maybe even retreat a second time. From that point on its good to stand back and reassess the abdomen and determine if you would need some sculpting around the upper and lower flanks. This plan would give you the "Treatment to Transformation" plan for your abdomen. Best of luck!

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting works for many body types.

+1
It is great that you are happy with your size!  Many do have a specific spot that bothers them and CoolSculpting or Liposonix non invasive fat reduction is perfect.  Of course liposuction is the "gold standard" but it is definately  an invasive procedure.  To a address you specific question:  expert placement of the CoolSculpting applicators give very good results.  Multiple site treatments are usually needed to give a smooth balanced result (no ridges or divots).  If more than a 25% reduction in the fat layer is desirable then, yes, repeating a treatment makes sense.  I personally prefer to wait 3 months and reassess before the retreatment so that we can see the results of the first treatment and adjust as needed.  I do know that some "double treat" within the first month (sometimes even on the same day) but I am not convinced that that will give you a better cosmetic result in the end.  Patience and conservative treatment has not let us down!

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Cool Sculptin

+1
Yes you can have Cool Sculpting treatments.Please go to the Cool Sculpting website to find a practice near you for an assessment.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting Candidate

+1
Although you are not an ideal candidate for CoolSculpting, you may still see some results. You will need at least 2-3 treatments in the areas of concern, in what we call the "Treatment to Transformation" protocol. These treatments should be spaced out 2-3 months apart. If you do them any sooner then you would just be treated fat cells that have already been frozen and killed off. For the most accurate assessment and plan you should get a consultation with a CoolSculpting practice that has experience in using this "Treatment to Transformation" protocol. Hope this helps!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon