I Am 5'8" 225lbs. I Lost 40lbs in 9months and Have Hit a Plateau.

For the past 9 months I have changed my eating and workout 5 days a weeks. I have lost 40lbs but have hit a plateau. The scale is not moving anymore. However my measurements are smaller so apparently I have lost inches too. I am ready for a tuck my stomach is huge. Am I a good candidate?

Weight loss and tummy tuck

+2

If your weight loss has leveled off, you may be a candidate for a tummy tuck if you have sufficient loose skin. This is difficult to say without examining you in person. The actual number that you weigh is not as important as the distribution of your fat. A board certified plastic surgeon can easily examine you and determine if you are a candidate for a tummy tuck.

Dr.Bruno

+2

You started out at 265 pounds and your body mass index (BMI) at that weight was 40.3.  After losing 40 pounds your BMI is 34.2.  To understand your weight level you have to understand the BMI scale.  The upper limit of normal for BMI is 25.  From 25 to 30 you are considered overweight.  30 to 35 you are considered obese (which means that your life span is shortened).  35 and above you are considered morbidly obese which means that you life span is significantly reduced. 

Thus you have had a drop of 6 points on the BMI scale.  To qualify as a massive weight loss patient, which means that you are ready for body contouring surgery, you have to drop between 10 to 11 points.  The reason for that is that you will get very little benefit from the surgey should  you undergo it now.  Part of the reason for that is that our bodies are made up of two balloons, one inside of the other.  The outer balloon is the skin around your belly.  The inner balloon's outer cover is the "six pack" muscles and on the inside of that inner balloon we have a lot of fat.  We deposit fat between the two balloons, which you can feel by pinching your skin, and on the inside of the inner balloon, around our internal organs.  When your weight is where it is right now, and you have not had at least a 10 point drop in your BMI, most likely your inner balloon has too much fat in it.  Since we can not remove fat from the inner balloon, the result you would get from doing anything to the outside balloon will be minimal.  In other words, you can thin the fat between the inner and outer balloons and eliminate skin from the outer balloon but you will still have a proturding belly because of all the excess fat inside the inner balloon.  Not worth the surgery. 

I would suggest that you consider seeing a "medical bariatrician" , or better yet, a bariatric surgeon, both specialists in weight reduction.  That should be your first step.  Good luck. 

Al Aly, MD

Ready for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Good work on your weight loss Natalie!! It is very possible that you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck, however it is hard to know without seeing photos or having a consultation. You are tall, a may have a large frame. If you are happy with your weight where it is and think you are stabilized, you should next see a board certified plastic surgeon to help you determine if now is a good time! Best of luck to you!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

I Am 5'8" 225lbs. I Lost 40lbs in 9months and Have Hit a Plateau

+1

Dear Natalie5078,

Congratulations on your recent weight loss! I know losing weight is challenging, but I encourage you to lose another twenty or thirty pounds for both your health and your figure. You will be a better candidate for a tummy tuck with better results once you reach your goal or ideal weight.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Tummy tuck candidate

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss! It is difficult to determine whether you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck without current photos. I recommend that my patient’s reach their ideal weight prior to proceeding with surgery to obtain the best results possible and to avoid any additional surgery. A tummy tuck involves repair of the rectus muscles and removal of loose, excess skin. In most cases, liposuction is used to help improve body contours. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best and safest possible option for you.