I Am 5'8" and I Weigh 345lbs-350lbs. I Am Disabled, Am I A Candidate For a TT?

I have chronic back pain due to bulging discs and minor scoliosis. I can't walk, or work out to take off the weight. I have one 3 year old child, with which I had an emergency c-section. My dr. at one point suggested a gastric, but I'm not sure I want to take drastic measures that are irreversible. I know many people who just put the weight right back on. Are there any surgery options to get rid of the excess fat and skin? And is the fact that I've had a c-section a no go on a tummy tuck?

Tummy tuck in obese patients

+2

Without a careful examination I cannot give you any specific advice, but based on your reported height (5'8") and weight (350 lbs) I doubt that you are a candidate for an abdominoplasty.   Body contouring procedures (such as abdominoplasty, liposuction, thigh lifts, etc...) are generally for patients that are reasonably close to their "appropriate" weight.  I try to take into account all factors when giving any recommendations, but as a general rule the body mass index (BMI) should not be much over 35 (or at most, 40 in some cases) to undergo these types of procedures.   (Your current bmi is about 53.)  

I would therefore suggest that you seriously consider weight loss before you attempt to proceed with any contouring procedures.  Body contouring procedures are not about weight loss, but rather an improvement in shape/contour.  The method by which you lose the weight is not important and I suggest that you discuss this in detail with your primary care provider.  A gastric bypass may be an option for you, but talk to your doctor about this.

The fact that you have had a c-section is not a contraindication to an abdominoplasty.  Many, many women who have had a c-sec undergo tummy tucks without any problem.  Good luck.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Not a candidate for tummy tuck

+1

Some type of bariatric surgery is likely necessary prior to considering plastic surgery. Once you have lost the weight, you may be a candidate for a functional abdominal panniculectomy.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Candidate for Abdominoplasty at 350 lbs?

+1

Based on the information you provided, a tummy tuck is unlikely to give you significant improvement. Consider a weight loss plan first.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Excessive weight could hinder plastic surgery results

+1

I hear your pain. Complications associated with gastric by-pass can be disastrous. Lap band or gastric band are usually unsuccessful. You must however find a way to loose the weight. Since you are unable to excercise, diet is the only solution. There are diet programs that have proven successful, but you must decide to make a lifestyle change in order to keep the weight off. A previous C-section does not play a role in considering TT surgery. Loosing weight is not impossible, although it might seem like it. Take it one day at a time. Decide to become healthy by implementing a balanced diet with plenty of water. It might take you 1yr or two, but YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Best wishes to you, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Is it time for a tummy tuck?

+1

Honestly, you need to lose weight before considering a tummy tuck. Have you considered the gastric band, or lap band? It actually is "reversible" and not as involved as the bypass procedures. Go to a good bariatric surgery center to get the best info. At this point, not only will you be disappointed from tummy tuck results, but you are probably at higher risk of complications. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

You are not a candidate for a tummy tuck surgery.

Based on your description there are many reasons that you need to lose weight as soon as possible. Obviously, this is best done through diet and exercise if possible;  if not surgical weight reduction may be indicated. After you have lost the weight and reached a long-term stable weight you will likely be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery  or lower body lifting. The previous C-section is not a contraindication.

Morbidly obese and questions regarding a tummy tuck

+1

You may ultimately benefit from a tummy tuck or a lower body lift. However, you need to lose a massive amount of weight before pursuing procedures like these. It is possible that an interim procedure like a panniculectomy may be beneficial. Photos would be helpful.

You need to see your internist , a nutritionist and weight loss specialist. Some type of weight loss surgical procedure may be appropriate for you. A consultation with a plastic surgeon may help you with some of this.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Abdominoplasty Candidate?

+1

At your weight, I doubt you are a good candidate for an abdominoplasty.  A procedure called a panniculectomy can be done to remove the redundant tissue overhanging the mons area, but this will do nothing about the thickness of your abdomen and carries a fairly high complication rate in heavier patients.  Whether through diet and exercise, or surgery, weight loss should be your first goal.

Donald Griffin, MD