What Size Is Best? I Have a BWD of 11.5, Want to go From 34B to a Natural 34DD.

I Am 5'7" and 145pounds. At my consultation my ps suggested a 425cc high profile with a base diameter of 12.5 and projection of 5cm or a 500cc ultra high profile at 11.9 bd and 5.7 projection. Which selection, if either, would give me a natural D/DD? Thank you...my pre-op is in 1 week!

What size is best? I have a BWD of 11.5 - want to go from a 34B to a natural 34 DD.

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Natural and 34DD may not fit in the same sentence. Will they fit on your body to look natural? That is the question: Breast

+1

Thank you for your question.  It is difficult to give meaningful information without pictures but I will give you some information to think about.  First, the ultra high profile do not usually give a natural look because they are narrow with maximal projection. Second, the high projecting implants can cause you problems in the future.  Here are some things to consider:

1. As you get older, your breast skin will age, stretch and become thinner even without an implant.  The larger any breast, augmented or not, the worse it will look over time due to skin stretching.

2. Adding any implant to your breast adds weight and will produce stretch and irreversible thinning of your breast tissues over time.

3. The larger the implant, the greater the amount of breast tissue stretch that will occur.

4. Adding excess weight to the breast almost guarantees that it will look worse over time, with increased stretch and sagging.  It is impossible to predict whether or when this will occur in any individual patient.

5. Adding weight to your breast with a large implant may cause you to need further surgery in the future, particularly mastopexy (breast lift) with additional visible scars and risks.  You will incur additional costs, time off work, risks, and trade-offs if additional surgery is necessary.

6. Excessive breast tissue stretch from a large implant can make you more likely to have surgical complications with healing problems if the tissues become very thin.

7. As breast tissues thin, You will definitely be able to feel your implant and portions of the implant may be visible through your skin and visible rippling or wrinkling may occur.

8. If excessive stretch or complications occur (and this is unpredictable), it may even become necessary to remove the implants, with compromise in the appearance of your breasts and probable visible scarring if breast lifting (mastopexy) is necessary when the implants are removed.

Discuss these issues and all of your questions/concerns with your plastic surgeon.  Good Luck!

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Your Goals and Your Plan Sound Mutually Exclusive

+1

Hi there-

While an examination would be necessary to best understand your situation and give you the most responsible recommendations, I am very concerned that if your goal is truly to look "natural", that your described options have little chance of getting you there.

Your best bet is to carefully communicate to your surgeon your desired appearance and then give him the freedom to do what is necessary to achieve it for you.

Committing to an implant before surgery is not so smart.

Armando Soto, MD

Natural DD

+1

The answer is "it depends"!

On many factors like your skin tone, breast volume, chest width etc...

Are you a smoker?

Have you Breast Fed?

How droopy are you?

Where will your implants be placed?

Your height and weight don't really help. 

I find that women best communicate their desire by showing me what they want by trying on implants with a sheer bra and an elastic  tight white top on. White shows size, while colors conceal it.  The muscle pushes down (erases) about 50 cc of volume. Therefore, if you like the look of 450... get the 500's. The most likely error is wishing you'd have gone larger. That is an expensive error>

David Janssen, MD, FACS
Oshkosh Plastic Surgeon

High profile vs. Ultra high profile implants

+1

The use of a high profile vs ultra high profile implant can be quite complex.   The problem with either of these two implants is the propensity for long term bottoming out.   There are may features that will go into the determination of the correct implant for you and we just don't have enough information available to give you a good definitive answer.  

DD implants

+1

Without an exam it is impossible to tell you what would look good for you.  The selection of implants really depends upon your anatomy and your preferences.  This requires an exam.

What implant to use

+1

What's a "natural" DD look like? Without seeing photos it's impossible to tell. Dimensions are only one part of the equation. The higher the profile, the rounder the breast. If you already have a good amount of breast tissue than you won't see the roundness of the implant so much and the ultra high implant might work well. If you don't have much breast tissue you will be pretty round up top. Take some pictures with you to your pre-op and review them with your surgeon. make sure you are both on the same page. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

If your goal is to look natural, stay away from very large breast implants.

+1

Hi.

Make sure your plastic surgeon really understands what you want to look like (show him or her pictures) and then let your surgeon pick the best implants for you.  Looking natural means not being high and round on top.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Picking the best implant size for you

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning

2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. Even your fitness levels and other relevant criteria are taken into consideration. It is you who will decide what you are comfortable with.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for.

This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. So try these implants in the office to pick which look you like the best.

Hope this helps.  Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS