I Am 5'7, 118lbs, with an 32 A Cup. How Many Cc's to Get a Small to Regular C Cup?

I'm very slender and small boned 5'7 118lbs. My rib cage is 32 and I am currently an A cup with little breast tissue. My ribcage indents a bit on my right side and I think I may go with 300cc, but I'm not sure if this will give me a C cup since you loose about 10% after surgery. Should I be going larger to ensure the size I wish?

Discuss size thoroughly with your plastic surgeon

+2

From your description, you are a very petite woman of medium height.  Although size of the implant is important, it is only one of several factors to be considered before surgery.  Your surgeon will assess the amount of breast tissue, the quality of the chest muscles, the elasticity of your skin among others.  All of these combined will determine your final result and your surgeon can help you determine the best size for you and help you anticipate the final result for your particular case.

Therefore, it is important to discuss this carefully with your doctor.  Try to describe the result you are seeking. 
Bring in some pictures of the type of breast you find attractive.  Ask you doctor if you can achieve this type of result. Communication is the key.  Your communication and the physical exam will allow your doctor to make the best recommendation for you.

During the consultation with my patients, the woman tries on different sized implants.  I find this helps many patients visualize the end result.  You are correct about the size of the breast becoming smaller after the surgery.  This is mostly due to the swelling that subsides over several weeks.  Keeping this in mind, if a woman is considering two different implant sizes, I usually recommend using the bigger implant assuming the tissues will accommodate this size.  This is where you need the advice of your surgeon.

Finally, make sure your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and performs frequent breast implant surgery.

Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Implant Selection Process

+1

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Determining size

+1

Many breast augmentation patient’s regret not going big enough. Initially, there will be a significant amount of swelling which will subside over time. Clear communication with your plastic surgeon is important in achieving the desired goals of the patient. I like to communicate with patients with “goal” pictures.  During surgery, I use temporary sizers to determine the size/profile that will give the patient the look she is looking for. Trying to predict the size of the implant preoperatively is not ideal.  I think it is too much responsibility for the patient to choose the size of the implant.  Ideally, the surgeon would make that determination once he/she is in the operating room with sizers in and examining the patient in the upright and supine position.  There are many variables that come into play when choosing the correct implant size (how much breast tissue the patient currently has, the shape of the chest wall (concave vs. convex), etc… It is difficult to determine exact cup size pre/post-operatively. Every manufacturer produces a variety of bra styles, which may differ in size and shape.

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a board certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.

Breast Augmentation San Diego

+1

Breast implant dimensions are more important than volume.  Dimensions are measured in centimeters, and include diameter of the implant (determined by base width of breast and skin thickness) and projection (profile) of the implant, which is how far out from your body the implant projects in a forward direction when you are standing or an upward direction when you're laying supine.  My routine is to consider what each woman wants (in your case, C cup), what volume she's starting with, compliance of the skin envelope, her dimensions and lifestyle, and select implants to try in the office.  Can also perform surgical simulation with different implant sizes using the portrait 3D camera.  Usually, we get it right the first time!  If you are not sure about size, return to your surgeon and express this sentiment.  Time spent in advance planning is a worthwhile investment.

Steve Laverson, MD

Breast implant volume

+1

The way  I go about choosing an implant for my patient is based upon several factors including their general anatomy, and their desire for volume.  I select a range that I think would be appropriate and then the patient goes home and tries it out with a "Rice test" or a "baggy test."  Fill the bag with the volume recommended , put on a loose bra, and then a tight t-shirt over that. If you like the general volume that is what I go with.  Of course this can be adjusted a bit as to the patient's preferences.  But I do not guaranteee cup size.

Achieving the Ideal Breast Implant Result

+1

There is no formula for the determination of how many cc's will equal a particular cup size.  Imagine using the same implant in a 5'0" patient and a 5'10" patient and you will likely get very different result. The key in getting the result you want is communication with your surgeon and not worrying about the particular volume. Often, photographs are helpful in demonstrating clearly the look you are trying to achieve.  Remember if you buy enough bras, you will likely be different cup sizes depending upon the manufacturer.  And it is not good to base a scientific procedure on such a non-scientific measurement.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

Vincent P. Marin, MD

How to pick breast implants.

+1

How to pick breast implant sizes
Article by George J. Beraka, MD

1)  This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2)  It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3)  Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4)  Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy.  The most common mistake is to go too big.

5)  I recommend that  the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6)  The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7)  Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8)  Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating roon inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

How many cc's to go to a C cup on a slender woman?

+1

This is very difficult to answer without an examination. As a general rule, a cup size is between 150-200cc depending on your height and chest wall dimensions. I would not concentrate on how many cc's, but on what size is appropriate for you based on your chest wall and breast tissue measurements. You also describe a chest wall asymmetry and this will also affect the choice or size(s) of implants or additional fat grafting possibly. See a board certified plastic surgeon for an indepth consultation/examination.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

CC's to go from A to C

+1

The final size of implant used is best determined at the time of surgery.  300cc is a likely size to produce a C on your frame, but there are other considerations, such as how much and how tight your pectoral muscle is, how thick and tight the skin is, whether you have had children and breast fed, what the shape of the rib cage is, and what the diameter and shape of the breast is.  The final implant size is best determined by the surgeon so you get the optimal aesthetic appearance.  Sometimes it is helpful to bring in pictures of what size/ fullness you are looking for and show your surgeon to discuss what results are realistically attainable for your body.

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon