I Am 56, is It Too Late for Rhinoplasty?

I suppose the rest of my face is aging but I have always hated the size of my nose and I feel a reduction would lift my face.

56 year old

+2

No. You are not too old. One of the signs of an aging face is drooping of the nasal tip. This a natural happening not a case of your nose growing.

I am 56 - is it too late for rhinoplasty?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Not too late for rhinoplasty

+1

There are no hard-and-fast rules for age with regards to rhinoplasty surgery.  If it bothers you, then look into changing it!

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Too old for rhinoplasty

+1

There is no reason not to consider the operation if your nose still bothers you.  The procedure has been proven safe in multiple studies and reports. And although the surgeon tends to focus even more than ever on restoring strength to the support mechanisms of the nasal structure, the final result can be subtle, natural, and still refined.  The skin tends to be the limiting factor at this point, since it might not have all the elasticity required to shrink wrap to the detailed cartilage modifications.   However that is something for you to discuss with your surgeon.  Good luck, go for it!

Kevin Robertson, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is 56 to old for Rhinoplasty

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and have performed Rhinoplasty on patients your age and older who, like you, have always disliked their nose.  Your age is not a barrier....as long as you are healthy enough to have the Rhinoplasty.

Too old for rhinoplasty

+1

Not at all. As long as you are healthy there is no reason not to go ahead. I would recommend that you try to keep the result in balance with how your facial features are now and not how they were when you were 20.

Many of my patients who are having face rejuventating procedures such as face or necklifts often have their noses tweaked to keep things in balance.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

No age limit for rhinoplasty

+1

I agree with the others that there is no real cutoff age for rhinoplasty.  I have performed a number of rhinoplasties on women  (and men) in their 40's and 50's.  I'm always impressed how a bit of tip contouring and slight upward rotation (and bump reduction if necessary) can really make patients look younger.  Go for it!

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Age for rhinoplasty

+1

There is no specific age limit for rhinoplasty as long as the patient is healthy.  This in some cases may be combined with other facial rejuvenation procedures.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

No age limit for rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty can be performed at any age.  It is one of the most enduring procedures.  Your nose can me made smaller and more refined. 

Anurag Agarwal, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I too old for rhinoplasty?

+1

Absolutely not! There's no reason you shouldn't have a rhinoplasty, and it will definitely lift your face as you desire. From a shape point of view you have good potential for a finer nose. The biggest issue for you is the potential for worsening your airway. It's really important you discuss this carefully with your surgeon. Your nose shape is one of the higher risk shapes for a poor airway outcome, and being over 50 your skin and cartilage might be soft and have some loss of elasticity. Narrowing your nasal tip and bridge therefore creates some risk of postop internal valve problems which can be prevented by good planning and expert surgery. Have a healthy discussion about this with your prospective surgeon, and then go for it! Good luck.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon