56 Y/O Japanese Woman - Asian or Western Doctor?

I'm 56 Japanese woman. I would like to remove under eye puffiness and face lift together. Do you recommend Asian specialist Dr or any plastic Dr ? I hear that Asian skin is differ than Western skin. Few my Japanese friends did face lift and eye surgery by Western Dr and they looks not natural looks which I do not want to happen to me. Please advice this matter, thank you.

Facelift principles are the same - the individual is important, not race

+3

Asian plastic surgeons tend to treat more Asian patients, obviously.  This can be an advantage when it comes to Asian eyelid surgery to provide a more Western look to the upper lid.  However, the treatment for puffiness of the lower lid is the same in Caucasians and Asians (and there are plenty of western surgeons who know how to treat the epicanthal folds of Asian upper eyelids).

There are no differences in how facelifts are done on Asian versus Caucasians.  The principles are the same.  Asian skin tends to have more pigment than Caucasian skin, but this is only important when it comes to laser resurfacing, not facelifts.  If your Asian friends have an unnatural look after facelifts by western plastic surgeons, it is the fault of the technique, not the fact that they are Asian.  Probably would have come out the same if they were Caucasian.

The best technique provides a natural look, but an effective lift.  It is not true that a more aggressive lift has to look unnatural, not if it is done properly.  "Minilifts" tend to give "miniresults."

There are good Asian plastic surgeons and mediocre ones and the same is true of western surgeons.  The individual is the important thing.  Sometimes it's nice to have a surgeon speak your language, but if your English is pretty good (it is) then this is not important and you open yourself to a much larger group of surgeons.

Don't worry about whether the surgeon is Asian or western.  Worry about whether they are a good surgeon and are likely to meet your expectations.  Look at photos of their work, for starters.  Hope this helps.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Asian Blepharoplasty -- Asian vs Western Surgeon

+2

I think it's important to find a plastic surgeon who you feel comfortable with and who shares your aesthetics.   While most Asians seek an Asian plastic surgeon, I think it's important to identify a surgeon who understands the Asian eyelid anatomy as well as any unspoken concerns that Asian patients may have to achieve a natural and balanced result.  Over aggressive surgery will result in an unnatural appearance, so it's critical to find a surgeon who shares your aesthetic taste.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Facelift Surgery: Choose the Right Surgeon

+1

There are some significant differences between Asian and Caucasian upper eyelid anatomy.  However, these ethnic variations are simply not applicable to Facelift surgery.  There is no variation necessary in technique or in observed healing in Asian or Caucasian facelift patients.   Choose a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon who is very experienced in Facelift surgery, and who impresses you with his/her results.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian Expertise

+1

Based on your question, you would seem to be happiest with a surgeon who has performed considerable work on Asian women.  The ASPS website would be a good starting point for qualified, board certified plastic surgeons. Call to confirm that the surgeon has extensive expertise and experience with Asian patients. Consult in person with 3 - 4 surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Asian face lift

+1

It is more important to choose a good  with experience, whether or not he or she is Asian does not make him/her an expert in surgery on Asian patients.  In cities such as San Francisco and Seattle there is a large Asian subset of the population.

Sam Naficy, MD

Face Lift

+1

There are many great Japanese doctors and many great “Western doctors” who can provide you the service you request.  Having a Japanese doctor perform your surgery is no guarantee of satisfaction.  Interview several doctors, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon specifically, and view the pictures of surgeries they have done on similar issues as you have.  If they do not have any photos showing before and after of similar issues, and ethnic diversity, then you may need to continue your search.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

+1

From a technical aspect, an Asian or Western doctor who has experience in Asian cosmetic surgery will be able to perform your surgery. However, from the personal aspect, you may relate better to an Asian physician who is more in tune with cultural norms and has a better understanding of your goals and needs. The doctor patient relationship is like other relationships. A good option for you would be to interview several surgeons, see photographs of their work and also see how comfortable you are with them.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian or Western Doctor for Asian patient

+1

It is important to seek out an experienced facial plastic surgeon to have any facial work performed.  Look for a surgeon who has performed thousands of the procedures that you are specific looking for and is board certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic Surgery.  Review before and after photographs of previous patients to make sure their results look natural.

Asian or not

+1

Your question was about the lower eyelid and a facelift. It is the upper eyelid that has variations which would match your concerns. Regardless of asian or not you are best advised to find the best surgeon you can....

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Asian or Western doctor for Asian patient?

+1

Since US is a country of diverse ethnic populations, most of the aesthetic plastic surgeons from variety of qualifying boards are experienced in working with patients who are asian or other ethnic backgrounds. The prudent patient should seek out the surgeon whose results look natural and appropiate. The color of doctors skin is less relevant than the color of his/her aesthetic judgment. Seek good taste in results of your doctor rather than his /her ethnic club membership.

Julian Henley, MD
Greeley Facial Plastic Surgeon