I'm 5'6 102 lbs. 23yo. No kids. Bra size 32A. How can I be a full C? I prefer silicone to saline. (Photo)

Upon my consult my PS suggested moderate profile 275cc silicone implants subglandular for a natural look. He said subglandular bc i have small amount of pectus excvatum. After hearing what he had to say, I told him I liked the look of the 325 cc I saw online so he gave me 275, 304 & 325 cc to take home and see what I like best! I was only 10.5 BC when he measured. I'm looking to get to a FULL C. I'm a little concerned if with my size and breast tissue if I am able to get to this? Thanks for any help!

BBA

+1
There is no way to guarantee a particular bra size. Bra sizing varies greatly between bra manufacturers and a C in one bra will be a D in another. What matters more than the assigned bra size is the way the implant looks on you. The best option for your body and aesthetic goals can be determined in a thorough implant sizing session.
Implant sizing depends on several factors. One of the most important factors is your breast width. Generally, your surgeon will measure your breast width, and then provide you with a range of implant sizes appropriate for your native breast size. There are more nuances to it than just what I've described, but this approach works for most women.
I usually have my patients bring in a large bra and a tight t-shirt to do sizing. I'll then choose 3-4 implants that I feel are appropriate, and have my patients place them in the bra under the tight t-shirt. My patients can then look in the mirror and get a good sense of what they will look like with the provided implant sizes. My patients like this approach and get a great idea of how they will look.
By using this technique, your surgeon can outline a range of appropriate implant sizes that will be aesthetically pleasing, and you make the final decision.
I hope this helps. Good luck!

Implant volume & cup size

+1
At size 32 A each 100 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change. 200 cc implants will take you to a full C. I always recommend small textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral since they look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision. Implant profile is irrelevant in the retro-pectoral position since the muscle compresses it. However, in addition to your pectus excavatum, you also have asymmetry of your nipple position and breast shape. I recommend breast augmentation through a circumareola approach using a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift. The circumareola approach will allow you to reposition your right areola more medially, correct the asymmetry, reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness and elevate them higher on the chest wall. Through the same incision, implants can be placed. Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection with a minimal size implant.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Sub-muscular breast implants best for young thin small breasted woman

+1
Thank you for your question.  As many others as stated and a young woman with small breasts sub-muscular breast augmentation is the best option for many reasons.

I found that this approach is possible in patients with minimal pectus excavatum as you have.

The larger 300-325 cc would seem a better choice to achieve the size that you want.

Please consult another board certified plastic surgeon for an examination and opinion.  The doctors should check the insertion of your pectoralis muscle to ascertain if it is widely split by your practice.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

I'm 5'6 102 lbs. 23yo. No kids. Bra size 32A. How can I be a full C? I prefer silicone to saline.

+1
From your photos and other information provided, I believe that you would need a slightly larger implant to achieve the "full c" you desire.  I would suggest considering 325 or more.  However I am offering an opinion based solely on pictures and can be inaccurate.  I also prefer placing the implants under the muscle.  I agree with your surgeon in sending you home with trial implants to test with clothing.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

I'm 5'6 102 lbs. 23yo . No kids. Bra size 32A. How can I be a full C? I prefer silicone to saline. (Photo)

+1
 A silicone implant would definitely be the best choice for you because of your small amount of natural breast tissue and thin stature.  A saline implant could have visible rippling in some body positions.

To give you the most natural result, I would place them in a submuscular pocket using an inframammary incision.  325 cc will most likely give you a C cup size, but keep in mind that bra sizes vary greatly from one manufacturer to another.  What is most important is how the final result looks, more than the label on the bra.

Linda Swanson, MD

+1
Based upon the posted photos I agree with you as o the larger size of implant. Very nice the surgeon allowed you to take home sizers.../

Best implant for cup size

+1
Unfortunately we are all a bit at a loss to help determine the appropriate implant size for you based on photos.  Your surgeon is right on track with giving you sizers to use at home.  Pick the sizer you like the look of and after surgery go find a bra that fits.  Trying to determine cup size preop is fraught with difficulties.  Trust your surgeon and work with him. You are very thin and any tissue you can get over the implant will help so placement beneath the muscle would be best.

Terrence Murphy, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

I suggest consultation with one or two more ABPS-certified plastic surgeons.

+1
As you can tell from the other answers, there is not clear-cut consensus, but a majority (including myself) would encourage submuscular silicone gel implants (dual-plane--submuscular superiorly, subfascial inferolaterally--with proper muscle fiber release inferomedially). This will truly provide the most natural look with the least likelihood for capsular contracture. Submammary positioning can look great in selected patients, but the risks of visible implant edges or ripples (even with silicone, more with saline--agree with silicone choice) AND the higher risk of ductal bacteria-induced capsular contracture from biofilm is simply too high, IMHO.

Size and profile are the next issues, and there is a tendency for many of my colleagues to almost "automatically" recommend high profile implants (particularly for petite patients). I believe it is best to choose desired size first (anatomy allowing), and then choose the lowest profile implants that will fit your pocket diameter. This may indeed be high profile implants in larger size choices, but I would not hesitate to use moderate plus profile implants if they fit your pocket diameter for the sizes chosen. Too-high implant profile simply gives you abnormal projection and excessively-wide cleavage if HP are indiscriminately recommended for a majority of patients.Your pectus is truly minimal, and should not influence your choice whatsoever. It will simply help to give you a more pronounced cleavage.

I think you should listen to your gut about implant size, especially since you emphasize you want a "FULL C." In a woman your size, 275cc will increase your breast volume by just a bit over one bra cup size--you need larger implants to achieve your goals, which are perfectly appropriate and achievable by an experienced ABPS-certified plastic surgeon. Don't let any surgeon tell you what you should like; instead, your chosen surgeon should examine you and measure your anatomy carefully (BTW, breast base diameter measurements are bandied about as if they are precise and definite limitations on implant diameter, when in fact most breasts do not have "sharp" edges to accurately measure.)

The important thing is that the surgeon uses his or her measurement techniques systematically in choosing implant diameter and profile to best achieve your goals--which involve LISTENING to you, not telling you what you should think. Our expertise is then applied to your goals and anatomic requirements to get you as close as possible to your desired look.

One other thing: when looking at goal photos, some patients equate a desired look and listed implant sizes with what they should choose. Remember that final breast volume is implants PLUS whatever the patient started with in terms of her own breast volume. Someone may be similar in height and weight, and even have breasts that look SIMILAR to yours, but as your own pectus evidences, chest walls are different and breast volumes are different. Thus, you should choose final desired appearances and then allow your surgeon to combine your OWN breast volume plus the properly-selected implant volume and profile to best approach your goal look. In other words, if your goal photo patient had B-cup breasts plus 325cc and you liked that "final" look, your own A-cup breasts plus 325cc implants will end up being too small! Perhaps you already understand this, but it is a common misconception, and worth repeating.

Also, a given implant volume that you choose when sizing in a bra and stretchy top will look too small when that exact size is compressed by your muscles. Most surgeons who do lots of submuscular breast augmentations understand that anywhere from 10-20% additional volume will need to be added to your chosen implants to equal the look you had when sizing. Thus, if indeed you tried on 325cc implants and liked their look in a bra and stretchy top, I would consider actual implants in the 350-400cc range, again, depending on your exact goals and the findings in the operating room. This helps to minimize the "too small" outcomes that are all too common, and what I fear for you if you continue with the suggestions you have voiced hesitancy about.

Thanks for asking your questions. Listen to your gut on this; you are right on target and should be able to achieve a fantastic result--IF you get it right the first time. Now read my headline again. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

MANY advantages to submuscular placement of breast implants

+1
Thank you for your question and photographs. You appear to be a good candidate for breast augmentation based on your photos.  I am very opposed to subglandular placement of your implants!  Subglandular position means a higher risk of capsular contracture, higher risk of rippling, they get in the way more with mammograms and increase the risk of loss of the nipple/areola complexes in the event that you need a lift in the future.  Be sure that you are seeing a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
                                                                 James McMahan, M.D.  Columbus plastic surgeon

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon