I'm 55yrs Old. Am I a Good Candidate for Tummy Tuck/arm Lift at Same Time?

I have excessive skin/fat on my waist and very large upper arms.

It usually not a good idea you need your arms to recover quickly from a tummy tuck

+1

You are in a group of patients over 50 years old, so you will need to be cleared for your surgery. As long as you are healthy it should not be a problem to proceed with your surgery. It is always great to combine two procedures at once for one recovery time. Unfortunately in case of tummy tuck procedure and arm lift I would strongly advise to proceed with one at the time. After tummy tuck-muscle repair and liposuction you will need arm strength to support your body while getting up from the bed.  Give yourself some time to recover from full abdominoplasty and once you regain the full strength and energy you might start planning your next surgery- arm lift. Please plan accordingly and follow up your surgeon’s instructions

Tummy tuck and arm lift can be done at the same time

+1

The answer to this question depends on two factors. Your health and your BMI. If you are healthy and your BMI (body mass index) is below 29, you are a good candidate for both procedures at the same time. If you have a history of massive weight loss, an overnight stay in the hospital may be necessary. A detailed consultation to review your past medical history and physical exam is of outmost importance.

Alfred Sofer, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Arm lift and tummy tuck can be done together safely.

+1

Hi.

How much you will benefit by these procedures of course depends on your anatomy.  But your age is certainly not an issue.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Combined surgery tummy tuck and arm lift

+1

Provided that you are healthy and a candidate for anesthesia and if you are a candidate for the procedures that you stated..then, yes, tummy tuck and arm lift can be performed at the same time with or with liposuction.

I wish you well.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Combined Tummy Tuck and Arm Lifting Surgery?

+1

Although the combination of the 2 surgeries can be done safely at the same time ( I would ask that you obtain medical clearance by your internist prior to surgery),  I would suggest that you do the procedures in two stages. This will make from a much more humane recovery;  If you do the same procedures at the same time your abdominal wall muscles and arms will be “out of commission” at the same time making  for a challenging several weeks  post op period.

As an example, I asked my tummy tuck patients to use a walker in the postoperative period;  the use of  a walker will be difficult after arm lifting surgery.  After the arm lifting surgery your arms should be elevated.

Although I can understand the desire to have one procedure and one recovery period,  I would suggest that you not compromise the end results of surgery.

Simultaneous arm lift and tummy tuck

+1

Whether or not to combine surgeries is a question the patient and doctor should discuss frankly.

On the one hand, it is nice to have a single recovery time!

On the other hand, the chance of complications rises when procedures are combined.

If the surgeon is efficient and the patient's health is good, these procedures are often combined with excellent results.  There are a number of patient series where combined procedures were performed very safely.

There are general guidelines for how long a surgery should take, so discuss whether your goals can be accomplished in a safe time period.

Brent Moelleken, MD

5 Most important things to know about being a candidate for Tummy Tuck

+1

1.  Combining a tummy tuck and arm lift is definitely a reasonable combination procedure to do as long as it is done by a surgeon who has done hundreds of thousands of tummy tucks who will not keep you under anesthesia too long.

2.   Two or three body contouring procedures together or body and face are reasonable.  A full face and body makeover is ot a good idea in terms of safety regarding anesthesia.

3.  It's not your chronicological age that is important it is your general health.    If you don't have any major medical problems, you will likely be a good candidate.

4.  If there is any question about your health, your plastic surgeon will have your primary care doctor write you a "clearance note" saying you have a clear bill of health for the surgery.

5.  Be more worried about the surgeon being a good candidate for you!  Do your homework.  Is the surgeon affiliated with ASPS or ASAPS?

Hope this helps.

Douglas S. Steinbrech, MD

If your health is otherwise good

+1

A lot of what make or breaks a candidate for surgery isn't so much their chronologic age as it is their physiologic age.  If your health is good then you should be a good candidate. Be honest with your doctor so he or she can do the best job for you.

Good luck,

Dr T

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

+1

combination surgery is possible, but there is higher risks of complications. The combination of tummy tuck and Arm liftdepend on the specific situation and how extensive is the Tummy Tuck and how big is the Arm Lift.

Remember that you will need your hands and arms to take care of your self while you are recovering from Tummy Tuck