Do I need a tummy tuck or mini tummy tuck with lipo?

I am 25, had baby 14 months ago, gained about 65 lbs during pregnancy (140 to 205), lost weighy fairly quick 80 lbs so far currently at 125 lbs. I will likely have another baby, but not in the near future. Can I attain a flat stomach with working out? I currently do not work out much. If I get pregnant again and gain 25-30 lbs could I possibly not have to get a TT re-done?

+1

A physical exam would be necessary to make a determination about the appropriate intervention.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

TT vs LIpo

+1
To best help you, please send in some pictures consisting of a front, back, left and right side view of your body in order to determine which procedures and techniques would be best for your case.
Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Full Tummy Tuck vs Mini Tummy Tuck with Lipo

+1
Without photos or a physical exam, it can be difficult to give you a definitive answer as to whether you would be a better candidate for a full tummy tuck or a mini tummy tuck with liposuction.  However, if you have had a pregnancy and have had a weight loss of 80 lbs., you are probably a much better candidate for a full tummy tuck.
Exercise and a good diet are always the mainstay for staying in good shape - so definitely be sure to work out regularly.  If you are planning on another pregnancy, I would suggest that you wait to have the tummy tuck until you are done with child bearing.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

+1
It sounds like you have done a remarkable job getting back into shape. If you are sure you will be having another baby or more in the future, postpone the tummy tuck until after that.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Full tummy tuck or mini tummy tuck after pregnancy

+1
Congratulation on your baby and losing the weight! It is difficult to answer your question without examining your in person or seeing your photos.  If you have excess skin and bulge, you would most likely need tummy tuck.  Tummy tuck is a great procedure where we remove excess skin and fat as well as tightening the muscle that has stretched out during the pregnancy.  Although it is not harmful for the fetus, if you get tummy tuck, your next pregnancy will stretch your abdominal skin and muscle again.  There is a chance that you will need re-do tummy tuck then.  Please visit with a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options and concerns.  Good luck.

Sugene Kim, MD

Mini vs. Full Tummy Tuck #tummytuck

+1

Without pictures it is impossible for me to tell you. But, I can tell you that few patients qualify for the mini tummy tuck. If you have any laxity to the skin above the belly button that you need to have tightened then you need a full tummy tuck. If you upper abdomen is perfect and you are happy with it and have not excess skin but the skin below the belly button is the issue then you may qualify for a mini tummy tuck. This will all be determined at your consultation.

Richard J. Brown, MD

TT or Mini TT

+1

Hello and thank you for your question.

Without a photo or a formal consultation there is no way to know what procedure(s) would be best suited for you. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.

Best of luck to you

David Cangello, MD

+1
Without photos, it is impossible to give you advice.  If you have significant skin looseness and stretch marks, anything less than a full tummy tuck will leave you disappointed.  If you do not have loose skin or stretch marks, weight loss and exercise and or liposuction will improve your abdomen.  Tummy tuck revision is possible, but may not be necessary, depending on many factors.  I hope this helps!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

"Mini” vs. “Modified” vs. "Full" Tummy Tuck

+1
Photographs of your stomach would be helpful to provide more directed information.

The “Full” tummy tuck involves removal of excess skin and fat from the abdomen and waistline, as well as muscle/fascia tightening in the upper and lower midline. Patients achieve skin tightening in the upper and lower abdomen, and a slimmer appearance without the lower abdominal stretch marks and tummy fullness. Sometimes liposuction is combined with abdominoplasty, either in the flank and/or abdomen, to provide better contouring.

(The fascia is the thick fibrous connective tissue covering over the muscles that encases them and lends support to them. During pregnancy it stretches along with the muscles, but after pregnancy it does not always return to its initial shape and can remain somewhat loose. It is this looseness in the fascia that contributes the central and lower abdominal fullness, or pooch, that does not get better despite exercise and weight loss.)

In its simplest form, a “Mini” tummy tuck is used to address the isolated and limited lower abdominal skin excess. Compared to a “full” tummy tuck, a smaller amount of skin is removed in the lower abdomen, and the resulting scar is often shorter; skin tightening occurs only in the lower abdomen. The use of liposuction would depend upon the individual patient. There are very few women who are true candidates for a “mini-tummy tuck.”

Muscle/fascia plication is not generally performed with a “Mini” tummy tuck; but it could be beneficial in select patients if performed to a limited degree in the lower midline. I prefer to refer to these procedures as a “Modified-Mini” tummy tuck. Some (thou not many) women have skin looseness and weaken muscles/fascia to a limited degree, and only in the lower abdomen. These women do not need a “full” tummy tuck, and a “mini” tummy tuck is not sufficient. The next step is a sort of combined procedure that is limited to the lower abdomen. The scar is longer than for a true “mini”, and a limited muscle/fascial plication is performed. This can provide a very nice result with a shorter recovery than a “full” procedure. The use of liposuction would depend upon the individual patient.

The correct procedure depends upon your anatomy, your concerns, and the type of recovery you wish to have. The degree of fascial laxity, the amount of skin laxity, and the amount your skin will stretch all play an important role in determining what technique will be used, how much skin can be excised, and where your scars will be placed. Generally, most women who are considering a tummy tuck procedure will benefit most from the “full” procedure.

Exercising may result in more weight loss, and may tone the abdominal muscles – both of which may be beneficial. However, exercise and toning the abdominal muscles will not correct the fascial laxity.

If you plan on having more children, then you should wait before proceeding with any type of tummy tuck that involves muscle/fascial repair. This is because the sutures used for the fascial plication will tear out during pregnancy as the abdominal wall stretches.

If you still have concerns about what you should do and what is best for you, then consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes. Ken Dembny

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Areal Tummy Tuck gives maximum satisfaction

+1

Mini tummy tucks are for people with minimal expectations.   95% of patients fair far far better with the real thing.....a standard beautifully done tummy tuck.   Minis sometimes are tempting because they are easier and cost less.   Please remember mini is mini and you get mini results and usually mini satisfaction.   My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon