Is 550cc silicone too big to achieve the look I am going for?

I'm 5'5 and weigh about 145lbs and I'm scheduled to have my surgery at the end of March. I'm unsure as to what size to go with I'm currently a C cup but want to go to a full D or Double DD. The 1st doctor recommended 600cc but my second doctor recommended 500/550cc to achieve the look I am going for. I'm afraid of choosing the wrong size. I'm a mom of 2 wanting to go for a natural fuller look that isn't over the top. I am definitely going with silicone but unsure on mod+ or high profile. Please help.

It's all about details. how big is too big?

+2
The question of implant size is confusing. Plastic surgeons have as many opinions as there are plastic surgeons. Some quote the literature, some quote their experience, but the key determinate is you. If one believes that a breast augmentation is a valid operation, then why not accept that success is based on meeting the patient's expectations. How then can a plastic surgeon deduce the result that the patient is seeking.
My personal practice is to begin with implant sizers in clothing. that gives you an idea of how you want to look. Most patients get a pretty good idea of what looks good. We then go to 3-D imaging. I currently use a Vectra system by Canfield. It allows me to show you how you would look with different implants; different sizes, different profiles, different manufacturers. My current system also allows me to include a mastopexy into the simulation. It is not perfect but it allow me to eliminate ambiguity. You would quickly notice that there is nearly no difference in the look of a 550 cc implant relative to a 600 cc implant.
Notice that I haven't said word one about dimensions, tissue characteristics, and the like. That's because I am only answering the question of size. All those parameters are important.  That's why consultations take a long time. There's allot to discuss. Take your time. Do your homework, ask probing questions, and I'm sure that you'll have a great result.

Large implants are not enough in women with pregnancies

+1
Unfortunately, you have not provided any photographs or told us your bra size just your cup size. If you are 32 or 34 each 100 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change. If you are 36 or 38 each 200 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change. From this, you can compute the volume required to achieve your desired goal. Since you had 2 pregnancies you would benefit from a simultaneous lift. I recommend a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast LiftTM. Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. Through the same incision, implants can be placed. Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection with a minimal size implant. Small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision. Implant profile is irrelevant in the retro-pectoral position since the muscle compresses it. 550 cc or 600 cc implants are very large, will not fit retro-pectoral, will extrude inferiorly and laterally requiring revision. 22% of women who undergo breast augmentation alone require revision within 2 years because they are dissatisfied with the result.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Implant sizes and final result

+1
It is difficult to answer the question of whether 5 50 cc or 600 cc would be best for you.  Factors and need to be taken into consideration are width of the breast and how much soft tissue you have and how loose or tight your chest is.  But generally a difference between 550 cc and 600 cc is not a full cup size it usually would amount to  a third or half of a cup size.  You have stated that you are now a C cup ,if you are a 34 cc, then a 600 cc implant would not look natural.   But if you are a 36C or a 38C then a 600 cc implant would look good. The second consideration is whether to go to a moderate or a high profile, this again depends on the width of your breast,and the shape of her breast.  Generally a high profile implant will give you more fullness of the upper pole or a Hollywood look.

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Breast Implant Size

+1
Breast Implant Size
Please see my previous posts regarding this topic for more information. This is one of the most frequently asked patient question.
Your strap size 32 34 36 makes a big difference in cup size. A 32 dd is much less volume than a 36 dd.

Also, sagging is a big factor after children.  Photos of what you consider a dd would be helpful.  The profile of the implant  and diameter matter as well.

More information would help. It's worth a drive from Bakersfield to get good informtion.

Bring a spouse, girlfriend or photos...

+1
Its always difficult to meet patients and in a very short period of time figure out what they want. I encourage patients to bring a spouse or girlfriend in to help them decide what looks good on them. We can give suggestions but, they are only that...suggestions.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Implant Size

+1
There are many factors that influence the choice of implant size. First and foremost is the individuals anatomy. Some people are narrow and "small boned" others are wide "large boned". There are a number of different chest shapes not to mention a number of implant shapes. Also interestingly, different patients have widely divergent opinions as to what "over the top"means. Find an experienced surgeon who will take the time to understand your goals and will work with you to achieve them.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Breast implants

+1
Thank you for your question. There are several factors that go into picking the right implant for you such as the width of your breast, the soft tissue characteristics of your breast, and your aesthetic goals. The difference between 550 and 600 cc is not really distinguishable and the difference between 500-600 is slightly more noticeable but it will not likely change your cup size. As far as the profile goes I would see which profile your surgeon recommends to fit your frame. Good luck.

Arun Rao, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Sizing

+1
It is difficult to comment on your size.  Bra size is not constant. I size patients in my office.  I have patients put in a bra then we place template silicon implants to find the size.  The biggest complaint women have is that they wished they would have gone larger.  

Ben Childers, MD

550 silicone implants

+1
Without an exam it is difficult to tell you what would be best for you, The exam and reviewing your concerns is essential.

Cup sizing and CCs?

+1
The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 D and a 38 D are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon