Can 550cc High Profile Breast Implants Look Natural?

I am 5'5" 130 lbs with 33" ribcage, 38C(low c) with 14.6cm breasts. I am soon to replace my current 350cc breast implants. I've had 2 kids in the last 4 years so there is some extra skin on one breast and mild sagging. I want to increase my cup size to a D with natural slope and want the crease under the breasts. My plastic surgeon suggested the hp 550cc allergan silicone but don't know if that will produce natural results.

High profile implants not typically the most natural looking

Only you and your plastic surgeon can tell what is best, but the general rule is that high profile implants aren't able to produce the natural looking slope in the upper part of the breast for most patients.

However, if you truly want to go up a full cup size then an increase of 200 cc might be in the range of what is needed. With your external diameter of 14.6, the diameter of the Allergan HP 550 is appropriate. But that is big for someone your size, and you would need to accept that.

Natural is both shape and how the size of the breasts balances with the rest of your body.

High profile implants generally look less natural

If you are trying to have a natural look, I would recommend that you stay away from high profile implants.  The tend to look too round and give too abrupt of a slope on the upper aspect of the breasts.  From the measurements that you provided, you have a fairly wide chest which is another reason I would not recommend a high profile implant. I believe that the moderate plus profile implants provide a nice shape and good projection without looking fake.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants for a natural breast augmentation

For breast augmentation to be truly natural the implant must blend in with the breast tissue such that it is difficult to know that the implant is there. In the distant past we used thin walled low profile silicone gel implants, often just under the gland of the breast. The marriage between the breast and implant was very good with a soft huggable texture and 'flow'. The implants were generally smaller and covered well by the breast tissue. Why the change? Implant leak and rupture with resulting breast capsules was a primary cause. Also there had been a trend to a larger fuller implant.

The trade-off today has been an 'under the muscle' placement to reduce capsules and a saline implant or a thicker low leak cohesive silicone gel implant. Both can produce very nice and 'natural' results in a moderate profile, which will allow adequate volume, yet reduce folding or rippling which may be seen or felt through the skin. The under the muscle augmentation will prevent a visible upper edge and still result in a nice slope and 'S' curve from underarm to side of breast to fold. The saline and slightly stiffer cohesive silicone gel will still have satisfactory flow and be huggable.

The full implant you suggest can be natural, especially after wearing a 350cc implant that the breast has accommodated to well. Consider though that as the profile is increased the implant will no longer flow with the breast, kind of like having a mild breast capsule, the breast will sit up on your chest when you lay on your back at the beach. This can be a nice look, a little showy, not 'natural' but a look some like. Be sure to look at the implants, and consider what you will wear or not wear and take your time to decide.

Breast implant augmentation revision and going larger

I would agree with Dr. Rand in discussing the term "natural" results with patients. Natural is the cover of national geographic; AND NO ONE wants that result. When people say they want natural results, they really mean non-visible breast implants. The visibility of the impants depends on the amount of breast tissue you have and it sounds as if you have a loose breast pocket. It also depends on the size of an implant and 550cc is a large implant. SO it is difficult to say without an examination. However, it has generally been my observation that patients seeking larger implants prefer an implant that is about 50% larger than the existing size in order to appreciate the difference. This seems in line with your request.

Larger breast implants will not replace need for a breast lift

What you are describing is breast ptosis, or sagging, that is occuring over your implants. This is very common after changes in weight or after multiple pregnancies (like you have had). It sounds like what you need is a breast lift. This can be done over your existing implants, or over top of larger implants. If you desire to be larger, this can be done with larger implants, but you will likely still need a breast lift. Keep in mind that the larger an implant is, the heavier it is, and the more likely you will develop worsening sagging or ptosis.

A larger implant isn't the best solution for excess skin

You have some laxity in your breasts because you have implants and have had children. Breasts go through changes in response to these stresses and I commonly see women who had larger implants placed in an effort to take up the excess skin. This rearely works and in fact the larger implants place even more stress on the skin and tissue causing more sagginess. I don't have the benefit of examining you and in Las Vegas it is not uncommon to use a 550cc and the definition of a natural result varies from person to person. The larger the implant you have the more it over powers the breast shape.

Dr Edwards

Can 550 HP implants be "natural"

In my opinion the word "natural" means something that can occur in nature. It is greatly misused by patients and sometimes means to them a result that is just short of Pamela Anderson. I would say that in the proper use of the word, there is nothing "natural" about a 550 HP implant. It creates a "look" and if that is what you want, it will get you there. But the upper pole slope will bulge out and you still may need a lift. Maybe a more conservative profile and a lift would give the better result?

Every patient is different...

It’s always difficult making decisions about breast size without performing a physical exam or seeing preoperative pictures.In addition, it’s important to understand the patient’s aesthetic goals.Each patient has specific anatomic findings and unique aesthetic goals regarding size and shape of the breasts.All of these factors should be considered when choosing the size of breast implants.
Even when care is taken preoperatively to determine a breast size, the final decision needs to be made in the Operating Room by the surgeon.At this point, an assessment can be made regarding how the patient’s breast tissue interacts with the breast implant.In some cases, when larger implants are utilized, patients can loose a natural look and appear artificial.Occasionally, obtaining a specific size doesn’t allow the surgeon to meet the patient’s other aesthetic goals.For these reasons, locking into a specific size isn’t always a good idea.Results are often better when a surgeon has the ability to make adjustments in the Operating Room.
In your case, it’s important to thoroughly discuss your aesthetic goals with your surgeon.Make sure he has the latitude to do what’s best for you in the Operating Room, so he can meet your aesthetic goals.It’s important that you have an approximate idea of the breast implant size that you’re considering, but don’t become married to an absolute number.It’s important to remember that going with an implant that’s too large can result in an artificial appearance.

Implant Selection Process

Bringing in photos of the look you desire would be helpful to your surgeon in helping you reach your desired result and letting you know if it is realistic.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast implant size

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.