Can 550cc High Profile Breast Implants Look Natural?

I am 5'5" 130 lbs with 33" ribcage, 38C(low c) with 14.6cm breasts. I am soon to replace my current 350cc breast implants. I've had 2 kids in the last 4 years so there is some extra skin on one breast and mild sagging. I want to increase my cup size to a D with natural slope and want the crease under the breasts. My plastic surgeon suggested the hp 550cc allergan silicone but don't know if that will produce natural results.

High profile implants generally look less natural

+3

If you are trying to have a natural look, I would recommend that you stay away from high profile implants.  The tend to look too round and give too abrupt of a slope on the upper aspect of the breasts.  From the measurements that you provided, you have a fairly wide chest which is another reason I would not recommend a high profile implant. I believe that the moderate plus profile implants provide a nice shape and good projection without looking fake.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

High profile implants not typically the most natural looking

+3

Only you and your plastic surgeon can tell what is best, but the general rule is that high profile implants aren't able to produce the natural looking slope in the upper part of the breast for most patients.

However, if you truly want to go up a full cup size then an increase of 200 cc might be in the range of what is needed. With your external diameter of 14.6, the diameter of the Allergan HP 550 is appropriate. But that is big for someone your size, and you would need to accept that.

Natural is both shape and how the size of the breasts balances with the rest of your body.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast implants for a natural breast augmentation

+2

For breast augmentation to be truly natural the implant must blend in with the breast tissue such that it is difficult to know that the implant is there. In the distant past we used thin walled low profile silicone gel implants, often just under the gland of the breast. The marriage between the breast and implant was very good with a soft huggable texture and 'flow'. The implants were generally smaller and covered well by the breast tissue. Why the change? Implant leak and rupture with resulting breast capsules was a primary cause. Also there had been a trend to a larger fuller implant.

The trade-off today has been an 'under the muscle' placement to reduce capsules and a saline implant or a thicker low leak cohesive silicone gel implant. Both can produce very nice and 'natural' results in a moderate profile, which will allow adequate volume, yet reduce folding or rippling which may be seen or felt through the skin. The under the muscle augmentation will prevent a visible upper edge and still result in a nice slope and 'S' curve from underarm to side of breast to fold. The saline and slightly stiffer cohesive silicone gel will still have satisfactory flow and be huggable.

The full implant you suggest can be natural, especially after wearing a 350cc implant that the breast has accommodated to well. Consider though that as the profile is increased the implant will no longer flow with the breast, kind of like having a mild breast capsule, the breast will sit up on your chest when you lay on your back at the beach. This can be a nice look, a little showy, not 'natural' but a look some like. Be sure to look at the implants, and consider what you will wear or not wear and take your time to decide.

A larger implant isn't the best solution for excess skin

+2

Darla,

You have some laxity in your breasts because you have implants and have had children. Breasts go through changes in response to these stresses and I commonly see women who had larger implants placed in an effort to take up the excess skin. This rearely works and in fact the larger implants place even more stress on the skin and tissue causing more sagginess. I don't have the benefit of examining you and in Las Vegas it is not uncommon to use a 550cc and the definition of a natural result varies from person to person. The larger the implant you have the more it over powers the breast shape.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Can 550 HP implants be "natural"

+2

In my opinion the word "natural" means something that can occur in nature. It is greatly misused by patients and sometimes means to them a result that is just short of Pamela Anderson. I would say that in the proper use of the word, there is nothing "natural" about a 550 HP implant. It creates a "look" and if that is what you want, it will get you there. But the upper pole slope will bulge out and you still may need a lift. Maybe a more conservative profile and a lift would give the better result?

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Implant Selection Process

+1

Bringing in photos of the look you desire would be helpful to your surgeon in helping you reach your desired result and letting you know if it is realistic.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.

Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.

The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.

I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast implant size

+1

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Breast Implant size for natural looking results

+1

Excessively large breast implants never look or feel natural, so the first important factor to consider is implant size. Not only do large implants look odd, they also stretch out breast skin and tend to become very droopy over time. Most patients with excessively large implants end up having multiple operations over time to address problems with implant position ('bottoming out', for example, where implants drop below the desired level of the inframammary fold), implant visibility, and overstretched skin. If the goal is a natural-appearing breast augmentation, then most patients will require an implant volume between 250cc and 450cc. A petite patient looking for a B-cup to C-cup transition may need a 275cc implant for example, while a tall, broad-shouldered patient looking for an A-cup to C-cup transition may require a 425cc implant.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

High Profile Breast Implants

+1

Darla- Deciding on the size and profile of your implants is a bgg part getting a breast augmentation. Talk to your surgeon about your desired result and listen to his advice. It sounds like the high profile implant will decrease the amount of sag or extra skin you are referring to. It is absolutely possible to achieve a natural looking appearance with high profile implants. You are the only one who really knows what you want. Ask to see pictures of other women who were your stature and received 550cc high profile implants, you are not the only one who has ever been in this situation.

Joseph G. Bauer, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Natural Augmentation with 550cc HP Implants

+1

I'm not sure what you mean by natural. At 5'5" and 130lbs, a D cup breast size is not found in too many women who do not have breast implants. So in that sense, you are not going to look very natural. However, if you want large breasts where the implant is not visible, then you may be able to achieve that. This will depend on the amount of breast tissue you have. It is impossible for anyone to give you a good answer without having examined you.

From my experience, your description along with the fact that you've had two children and already have implants, I would guess that your breast tissue is more likely to be thin than full. As such, going to a 550cc HP implant will likely result in a less than natural look. Also, if you have loose skin and sagging, don't count on a larger implant to give you a "lift". You will be disappointed. You may need a breast lift or mastopexy. I suggest you speak with more than one plastic surgeon to get some more ideas. Good luck!

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon