55 Years Old Double Mastectomy? (photo)

Stage III cancer 15 lymph nodes involved Had saline implants put in. Used alloderm for the pocket. Right side had the cancer And that breast is way off center more under the armpit And on the other side there's like a dimple right where the cleavage would start. Is this normal? And the pain is terrible

Options are always available in breast reconstruction

+1

and you should see your surgeon to further discuss your concerns.  Newer, textured anatomic gel implants, if they heal as desired, will not migrate into your armpit.  Dimples can be managed with fat grafting (if you're accepting of the risks).  Bottom line, see your surgeon for your options and pick what is best for you after you get all the facts.

Reconstruction of breasts can be revised

+1

Thanks for your question and picture. Congrats on your battle! It is very inspirational to hear stories like yours. I think a lot of concerns have been addressed by the other surgeons. The issue of radiation obviously affects things. In addition I'm not sure whether an expander was used or not. There may have been a limited amount of breast envelope left for the reconstruction and it could have differed between the two sides. Hopefully someone can examine you and explain some possible scenarios to improve your asymmetry. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Double mastectomy and implants

+1

Making a breast can be quite challenging in some cases. It is not only what the plastic surgeon does to make a breast but what he has to work with after the mastectomy. Sometimes the skin flaps are left very thin and dimplng and irregularities can be peresent. This might be the case here.  As for the implant position, it may need to be adjusted. An exam in person would be necessary to figure this out.

55 Year Old Double Mastectomy #breastcancer

+1

First, congratulations on your battle against cancer. You are an inspiration to all of us. I do quite a bit of reconstruction. I prefer silicone implants because I feel they are more soft and natural feeling. I do not see that you mentioned if you had radiation treatment or not. That does impact greatly how the breast will look. These cases are always a challenge for the surgeon. Often times patients do need pocket revisions. Since your pictures are just too difficult to tell I would say you need to visit your surgeon and see if there is a place for them to do a pocket revision and try to move those implants more to the midline. In some patients your personal anantomy limits how close the implants can be to form cleavage. These cases are a challenge at best but there can be room for improvement. If you do not like what the original surgeon has to say then seek a second opinion. I do revisions all the time for patients that I did not perform the first stage in, as I am sure some surgeon somewhere is revising mine. It is hard to get them perfect, but that is what I strive for. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Post double mastectomy

+1

Hi Krystal,

I'm sorry to hear about your post operative pain. 

I presume that you are very early in the post operative period. From the limited views of the pictures it does seem that the right breast mound is sitting higher and more to the lateral  side. The dimpling/contour deformity is also evident on the left breast.

Hard to comment without examining you or knowing the operative details but the dimpling may be the transition between the pectoralis muscle and alloderm. All this may be related to post operative swelling and muscle spasm but the best person to ask is your surgeon.

Derek Neoh, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon