I Am 55 Years Old and I Am Considering Botox and Juvederm? (photo)

I am 55 years old and I am considering Botox and Juvederm for the first time. My problem areas are mostly lines around the mouth and jaw. Do you think that is the best option? I really do not want surgery. Thank you

Recommended Treatments to address Facial Lines and Wrinkles

+1

Based on your photo, it looks like Perlane would be a great option for you in your nasolabial folds area (lines running from nose to mouth). Perlane is a thicker hyaluronic acid good for deeps folds and creases. Treatment lasts approximately 5-8 months.I recommend Botox in the glabella area (in between the eyes), the forehead, and the crowsfeet. Botox Cosmetic typically lasts 4 months. You might also want to consider a resurfacing treating to reduce wrinkles and encourage the growth of new skin. Our Cortex Co2 Erbium Yag Laser sends laser energy deep into the skin to remove the top layer (epidermis) and stimulate the growth of new skin. I recommend a consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon or dermatologist to formulate a treatment plan specifically for you. Good Luck!

Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lines around mouth

+1

The best treatment for the lines around your mouth is going to be laser resurfacing.  I would use a combination of CO2 and Erbium lasers.  The results will be long lasting, and Botox and Juvederm and not good for the issues that you are describing.  Please see my before and after photos for examples of patients with similar concerns. Take care, Dr. Groff

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

Botox and Juvederm

+1

Hello.  Neuromodulators such as Botox are effective in the upper third of the face:  forehead, glabella (area between the brows) and crow's feet (around the eyes).  Facial fillers such as Juvederm are effective in the treatment of "static" lines in the lower portions of the face.  This includes the lines around the mouth that you referred to.  I hope this is helpful.  Regards, Andy Shah MD. 

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and Juvederm

+1

We think you are a great candidate for Botox it will correct the forehead lines and it will even work great on your neck also consider multiple syringes of Juvederm.

Jhonny Salomon, MD

First steps in facial rejuvenation

+1

Dear Babycake :-),

You ask a wonderful question with regard to wrinkle reduction and facial volumization. As you probably know, Botox helps reduce muscle motion and dynamic lines while fillers give more facial volume. Combined these two products can create a more refreshed and rested appearance. I feel that both of your choices are excellent as Botox is the gold standard for neuromodulators and Juvederm is a great volumizing agent that is reversible. For patients who are taking a first step, or patients who have undergone a variety of procedures, the use of a neuromodulator and a hyaluronic acid (e.g. Juvederm) is a great combination. I hope this helps in your decision making process.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

I Am 55 Years Old and I Am Considering Botox and Juvederm?

+1

For short term result, Juvederm and Radiesse would be a great option for you. Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid filler that has a gel like substance that is injected just beneath the skin to fill in nasolabial folds, tear troughs, and lips to make them fuller. Typically Juvederm can last 6-9 months

Radiesse is a calcium based product that your own body produces to help stimulate collagen and can help with loss of volume due to age, this will help build and contour the cheek,  it can be injected to the nasolabial folds, marionette lines, chin, and pre jowl. Typically Radiesse can last up to 1 year.

Botox will help relax the muscles around the eyes and forehead, depending on how strong your muscle movement is would determine how many units you would benefit from.

I strongly advise you to seek a reputable board certified physician who can provide a lasting, natural result you wish to achieve.  

Botox and Juvederm

+1

Hello, great question and welcome to the world of facial rejuvenation! 

I have a whole speech I give people when I get asked, "what is my best option." In a nutshell, i tell people to think about what they want, do you want short term effects that are highly effective with a low risk or do you want a longer term effect with a higher risk (not extremely high, but higher). 

Well, if you want short term effects (ie 6 months - 2 years) then Botox and Juvederm is perfect. For you, looking at your photo, you'd benefit from some Botox between your eyes (that would really brighten your expression). You'd then use Juvederm to shape your lower face. Juvederm can cause dramatic effects on the lower face, jowls, etc. However, don't be surprised if someone recommends that you should have some placed near your cheek bones as well. We often do this to get  a "lift" of your lower face thus reducing some jowling. Also, you have prominent folds that go from your nose around your mouth. Juvederm is perfect for this.  I think you'll have an excellent result from the combination of Botox and Juvederm. But remember, Botox lasts 3-4 months while Juvederm can last 1-2 years. 

Now, if you want a more permanent effect, than a facelift is what you would look into. Obviously that is a whole other can of worms, but it is an option. 

I hope that helps. 

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for Lines Around Mouth and Jaw

+1

Based off your photos and areas of concern the best option would be to consider some type of resurfacing to treat fine lines and wrinkles, this would include chemical peels or a laser resurfacing.  After you have resurfaced the area you can fill any remaining lines that concern you with filler.  Botox is also useful in weakening the muscle and preventing you from making the movements that caused you to create some of those lines over time.  Other preventative care would include a good skin care regimen, including a daily SPF. 

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon