Im 5'5 at 120 Lbs and Want a Tummy Tuck, if I Lose More Weight Will I Be Able to Get More Skin Removed?

I also plan on exercising my body more than I do, but I worry that this will also not allow for maximum skin removal. My measurements right now are 34, 27, 36. i'm an hour glass I believe, and i'd like to maintain that, some before and after pics look like the people have lost their waists. Will I maintain my original shape after a tummy tuck? Any good doctor recommendations in the Alexandria VA area that specialize in tummy tucks?

Hi There,

Here is a link to the board certified doctors in your area who are qualified to perform Tummy Tucks.

Hopefully this helps!

Weight Loss & TT

+1

In general, if you lose more weight you will be able to remove more skin; however, this follows a law of diminishing returns.  At 120lbs, I seriously doubt any more weight loss will have a significant impact on the amount of skin removed.

As for your shape, it should remain.  Some surgeons will also use lateral muscle plication sutures to accentuate the hourglass shape.

I suggest you find an experienced plastic surgeon in your area with pictures of results you like.  Going to the American Board of Plastic Surgeons website will allow you to search for Board Certified Plastic Surgeons in Alexandria.  I did the search for you, and found the following 5 individuals:

1. BUENAVENTURA, SUSAN KELLY
  2. DESMAN, ERIC
  3. MATINI, KHOSROW
  4. MOSELY, LINDA HAYS
  5. SILVERSMITH, PETER EDWARD

I don't know any of them, and can't recommend any of them.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

At 5'5'' and weighing 120 pounds should I lose more weight to allow for more skin removal during a TT?

+1

At 5'5'' and 120 pounds you should be an ideal candidate for a TT if you have excess skin. Losing more weight is not necessary and would probably not affect the outcome of your surgery. You should be able to maintain you hour glass figure psotop if you do not gain any excess weight. I am not familiar with any Board Certified Palstic Surgeons in Alexandria, Va.  but you can call the American Society of Plastic Surgeons for recommendations in your area. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Weight loss and timing for TT

+1

At 5'5", 120lb, I can't imagine that you have much weight to lose. It is doubtful that a few more pounds of weight loss would alter the amount of skin that would be removed. 

Your surgeon should know in advance of surgery about your concern about waistline. Minimizing the dissection over the waistline area will preserve the contours, but can sometimes alter the amount of overall skin removal.

Yes, more skin can be removed in the future, but sometimes only from the lower abdomen without adding a new scar. 

Realself has a directory of surgeons.

Cross referencing with the ASPS directory (which is at plasticsurgery dot org) which assure that the surgeon is board certified and in good standing in the major national plastic surgery organization.

Thanks, best wishes.

Pre-op weight loss and tummy tuck/ shape....

+1

Chefy:

Yes, if you lose more weight you should be able to have more skin removed. You should not lose your shape, although that can be technique dependent. Choose your doctor by looking at his/her before and after pictures...if they seem like the shape is lost look for a doctor that is more in tune with your desires...I don't know anyone in Alexandria. Are you willing to travel?

best,

Dr. Michael in Miami

Michael Salzhauer, MD

Tummy Tuck At Ideal Weight

+1

You sound as if you are currently at your ideal weight and should get a nice result fromm a tummy tuck.  I see no reason for additional weight loss.  Yes, you should be able to maintain your hourglass figure following a tummy tuck.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Although it is not possible to provide you with precise advice without direct examination revealing pictures, it sounds like you may be a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery at this weight; in other words, further weight loss is probably not necessary.

In regards to finding a good plastic surgeon in your area, I  am  sure you will not have much difficulty. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery  to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

You will find,  while doing your due diligence,  that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;  again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.