5'5, 115 Lbs, 32A - 425cc over Filled 475cc - Right Size? (photo0

I'm 5 ft 5, 115 lbs and a 32A. I'm looking to be a full C, small D, but I wouldn't mind being larger than a D anyways. I want it to be proportional to my body, natural and to have a nice and fullness cleavage. I'm deciding on getting Mentor Saline Moderate Profile 425 cc over filled to 475 cc for my breast augmentation in 2 months. I really like the 425 cc on me! Even though the size of the implant seems a little big ... Do you think I made the right choice? Any other suggestions for me?

Implant size

+1

I agree that a 475 cc implant would not appear natural.  It will look quite fake.  Additionally, saline does look more like a coconut shell than silicone gel.  If you are interested in a somewhat natural look, I would consider a significantly smaller implant and preferably a gel filled implant.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size

+1

I agree 475cc not natural on your frame. With your soft tissue silicone better if you elect a big implant. Natural for you more 375 which should be a full c small D. Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Right size?

+1

There are many opinions about how to choose the right size implant for a patient.  As a surgeon I need to balance what a patient states she wants with what might be appropriate for your body, your breasts, your muscle.  Although it's the desire for a cosmetic change that brings patients into my office, the surgery performed affects more than just your appearance...especially when an implant is placed under the muscle.

It's not for me to tell you what looks natural or proportional- those are personal opinions- not medical...but I do believe the size implant you are considering will be too large for your muscle...and that can lead to all sorts of issues that you're not considering now.  There are also choices in implant type and shape, some of which may allow you other options.  It's important that you are going to a surgeon who will educate...not just operate.

I hope this helps...Good Luck!!!

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Too big for your breast tissue

+1

You have stated that you want natural and proportional breasts to your body. 475 cc implants are too big for your breast  and  will cause problems(thinning of breast tissue, bottoming out, fake look and early sagging).If you want to have lasting  results, I would go with 325 cc implants. Please get more opinions...

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

How to choose the right breast implant for your frame

+1

To select the right breast implant for your frame depends on how wide your chest is.  How close the cleavage you wish to have and how big you ultimately wish to be.  You chest size and breast have a maximal base width.  This base width should not be exceeded or you will be at risk of symmastia.  You have a very small A cup for your frame.  Which means you do not have very much tissue.  The photo you selected is a very full D cup.  The larger you go the greater the risk of seeing or feeling rippling if the implant has those characteristics.  The Mentor moderate profile saline implant has the most side rippling of all implants so I would not recommend these implants for a patient who does not have much tissue.  I would recommend a similar sized implant in a Mentor high profile silicone gel size or a MP+ silicone gel.  Those implants ripple much less.  Obviously the implants should be placed submuscularly to reduce the chance for vertical rippling and a more natural look.

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Am I choosing the right size implants?

+1

Dear Rosaliie,

thank you for your post.  You should really choose implants not on cc's but based on your body dimensions.  First you need to measure your breasts width.  This is your ideal width not your current width.  Currently you hae a gap inbetween your breasts.  This gap will be 'augmented' after the augmentation if it is not dealt with.  Choosing an implant too narrow or creating the pocket too separated will keep this gap.  Once this implant width is chosen, you then pick the profile of the implant based on desired cup size.  Since you are an 'A' and sounds like you desire a 'D', you will be looking at Moderate Plus or High Profile.  The following link is of a girl similar to your body with similiar goals.  She recieved a HP implant with her ideal breast width.  Notice that the gap between her breasts was closed.  One final thought:  Choose a silicone implant.  You are very thin and although a saline implant can be made to look ok, they will feel like water balloons.

Best Wishes,

Pablo PRichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

5'5, 115 Lbs, 32A - 425cc over Filled 475cc - Right Size?

+1

Hi Rosaliie.  Great question.  I always suggest to my patients that you want to always go with what your heart is telling you.  If you want a D, go for it.  If you settle for something out of 'your vision' than you might not ever be happy OR you will be back in for a second procedure.  I usually recommend the Silicone Gel implants to patients that have very little breast tissue (A or B cups).  So, my question to you is why have you chosen Saline?  The MemoryGel implants feel more like natural breast tissue.  You have to keep in mind that a Saline implant is (in a nutshell) a bag of water.  So when you overfill the implant, the firmer that implant gets.  Saline implants have a tendency to have rippling/scalloping associated with them.  Also, you have mentioned Moderate profile.  This all depends on your base diameter of your breast.  From the look of the photos, you are to narrow for a Moderate profile.  That implant may be to wide for your chest width.  You may want to consider a Moderate Plus or High Profile style implant.  The number one thing to keep in mind in regards to the actual 'cup size' is that it always determines on where you purchase your bras.  You may be a C at a one store but a D at another.  I think that you can definitely pull off the 425cc implants but make sure you are choosing the best style and type.  

Shelby Brantley, MD
Jackson Plastic Surgeon

Sizing

+1

This is the approach I use to help guide my patients with their implant size selection:  I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

+1

The chances of an implant that large looking natural on your frame seem rather small, at least to my concept of natural. 

Most surgeons use as a guideline principle to use an implant that is not wider than the breast itself. A Mentor 425 moderate implant filled to 475 cc would require a breast diameter of 13.5 cm, and I doubt your breasts are that wide.

I would revisit your options with your surgeon. All the best.